Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format

It's Much Bigger and More expensive Brother Did Not require a Front Silvered Mirror.

I have a Durst L184 10x10 enlarger with the V184 condenser head, and the two mirrors in that system are both back silvered.

Front silver seems to be a requirement when you are reflecting am image (e.g. SLR mirrors), but not where you are reflecting light before it reaches the negative.

Hence no need for cost and fraility the front silvered mirror...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Len for the confirmation. I agree this is a back silver mirror. Very thin but not front silver. Agree, no need to waste cash of something that adds no value to the enlarging.

Rick thanks for checking...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How uneven is the illumination on the baseboard with the mirror like that?

Also, as I had mentioned, a six-dollar Rosco diffuser in the filter drawer can fix it for a few dollars.

John, I've also got the Durst F60, and another use I've found for the filter drawer is to insert a pane of flashed opal diffusion glass. The Durst is a condensor enlarger, and if you decide you don't like the quick exposure times and high contrast of the condensor light, the flashed opal diffusion glass gives you a reasonable substitute for diffusion enlarging. Stephen Shuart is a good source for the glass. By the way, the filter drawer is deep enough that you can also use filters in the drawer, placed above the glass. Good luck.--greenspun.com/bboard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just found it, 2-3/4x4-1/2 first surface mirror.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hey folks thanks soooo very much for all the advice. I think I am in production. I went to a local craft/hobby shop and bought a mirror then cut it myself. (Mirror $2.50 and glass cutter $6). I think it works just great!!! The Durst only projects the middle 3.5 inch square, so my rough edges dont affect quality. I am thrilled (I was able to test that by putting a plasic obstacle over the edge and then removing it and the light emitted was the same)!! Thanks so very much for all the ideas.

Ic-racer, I might just order that diffusion anyway, then I can have a psedu-dicroic head per se...sounds fascinating to take it slower!

Rick - As always your kindness to all Apug'ers in a jam is appreciated.

Thanks all others for comments, it was helpful coming to a solution.

I am 95% ready to get this darkroom online!! Whooo hoo.....

I think my current costs are ($10 enlarger, $10 trays, $8.5 mirror fix)....last to buy is papers, chems and 3.5 inch multigrade filters. I am sooo close!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F60 is a great enlarger. I bought one 35 years ago. At the time, the dealer told me that it had been discontinued and he was selling out his remaining stock). I don't know if I really believe that story, but it makes a great tale at photography gatherings. I used it for almost 20 years. I still have it, and if I weren't doing mainly LF and using an Omega DII, it would still be set up on my darkroom.

The mirror serves only to reflect light from the bulb around a 90deg corner and through the condenser. It doesn't have to be 'first surface', and the thickness is relevant only to the degree that it has to fit inside the housing.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice to see you got the enlarger fixed. Have you printed before?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, printed a bunch of b/w and cibachrome (defunct term?) about a dozen years ago, now finally back in a situation to have my own darkroom!!! The darkroom is very close!

I re-read my Horenstein a lot and following Apug a ton, been preparing for a bit to get back online!

Thanks all for your support. Apug is a great place to come. Really nice community of thinkers. Amazing that some random issue (i.e., my old Durt's fungus filled mirror) can lead to such neat discussions about types of mirrors, glass cutting, diffusion filters...etc. Really appreciate the brainstorm and helping hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the baby brother, an F30 tucked away. A handbag mirror should work, or a passenger sun visor mirror from a car. Glass shops will often cut to size for a fee.

A white or metallic surface, if it is even, will work, with the loss of a lot of light. You will get a fair bit of heat on the mirror, so mirror finish mylar is probably out.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin