Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,255   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mirror Advice Needed for Durst F60

Hey folks, I am trying to get my 1st darkroom built and got said enlarger for next to nothing. The only issue is that the mirror seems to be comprimised, see below:

So what do I need to do? I have read on 'the net' that I need to go to a glass cutting shop and get a first surface mirror cut for the dimensions I need (about 4X4).

Is it that easy?

Durst parts in the US are next to no where (unless you want to pay way too much on the Bay) and I dont want to "throw out the baby with the bath water" and get a more American enlarger (i.e., Omega, Bessler) since this is perfect else for the mirror, so what do you think? This a easy fix for say $20 US or do I need some special Durst F60 branded mirror?

Best,
    Andy
    Last edited by zsas; 08-19-2011 at 08:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think this needs to be a front surface mirror.

A quick simple fix to get up and printing is to put some diffusion material (Rosco Roscolux #116: Tough White Diffusion) in the filter holder and use it as a diffusion enlarger with the existing mirror. It should work fine.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-19-2011 at 08:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is the mirror next to the light bulb ? While I don't use the F60, I have a similar Durst and the mirror reflects the light source to the condensor glass so that the light is more 'even'. Which means even if the glass is dirty, it doesn't matter. If u can get the mirror cut, then by all means.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tj01 View Post
    Is the mirror next to the light bulb ? While I don't use the F60, I have a similar Durst and the mirror reflects the light source to the condensor glass so that the light is more 'even'. Which means even if the glass is dirty, it doesn't matter. If u can get the mirror cut, then by all means.
    Not sure about that unless the mirror is frosted. I do see the mention to that in the literature but don't know what they are referring to; perhaps that the side of the bulb produces more even light. Since this is a condenser enlarge, I'd presume defects in the mirror will be noticeable in the prints.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-21-2011 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Durst F60 and F30:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    from the diagram it looks like you don't need a first surface mirror, any glass mirror will do it is only used to bend the light 90° onto the film plane.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all the comments folks! The mirror is not frosted. Just a regular, maybe 2mm think, second surface mirror. It is roughly 4X4, beveled on two of the edges. I am having trouble finding anywhere that has 2nd surface mirrors inexpensively cut to order online. And re-surfacing seems like a lot of work and costly. I called a glass store yesterday and the person about laughed at me when I asked for a 4 by 4 mirror…he was thinking 4 feet by 4 feet…he he.

I have not started printing yet with this, I am trying to decide if I should keep it or get a different enlarger, there are tons of them on craigslist…but I want to 'be green’ and get this enlarger up to speed but am worried that my printing will have uneven light distro.

Some more views of the mirror assembly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any mirror rwill do, thickness isn't important either, it's just a shiny surface to bounce the light off. Ask the glass shop to cut a 4x4 single thickness mirror. No need to scrap a perfecly good enlarger over this.

Bring the block to show the guy in the glass store so he sees how it fits and maybe can compensate the size for the bevel on the edges.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stuff at the class shop may be too thick. A hand mirror or mirror from a women's compact or makeup case might work with some cutting, which a glass shop or hardware store could probably do.
    You could also try these guys, www.surplusshed.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old overhead projector that has a mirror that might be of use to you. I'll PM you later when I dig it out of the attic and measure it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin