Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Old / classic enlarger lenses - are there any gems I'm missing out on?

I've got the latest and greatest lenses to enlarge with (well, at least good modern ones), but am curious about the older classics. Is there any good reason to look to some older enlarging glass? Is there a signature or character that could be had, similar to working with older glass in camera lenses?

I'm perfectly happy with my lenses now, I just wonder if I'm missing something good. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to mount a lot of the older lenses I've seen since they are heavy and need a larger hole than my lens boards provide. Obviously I could have them mounted, but it's not worth the effort if they aren't up to snuff.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the Kodak Enlarging Ektars. Very sharp, nice tonal rendering. If you're using an Omega D2 lensboards are still possible to find.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

In my understanding long time ago they were using same lens from camera on enlarger (reason: probably lenses were expensive) - that is why you have M39 mount on some enlargers and cameras.

I have made some prints using old elmar 5cm/3.5 as enlarger lens - unusual look, less perfect than el nikkor, but unusual and worth of trying.

Regards,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm using a durst l1200, so boards are probably a bit more complicated. I should be able to mount anything up to 55mm diameter or so.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wollensak made some very nice 4 element enlaring lens, I have a 50mm, 90mm, 135mm, and 165, just replaced my 50mm Wollensak with a Fuji 50mm 2.8, although much brighter and easier to focus with at F8 or F 11 I dont any differance up to 11X14.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    I'm perfectly happy with my lenses now, I just wonder if I'm missing something good.
    I've acquired a lot of lenses by thinking like that.

s-a

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I've acquired a lot of lenses by thinking like that.

s-a
    That's what I'm afraid of.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    Well, don't look to me for strength...

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thoughts on the subject:
    1) lack of resolution in enlarging lenses just makes bad prints. If the grain is not sharp (it won't be with a bad lens) the print looks bad. If the grain is sharp in the center and blurry at the edges it is even worse.
    2) Flare at the time of negative enlargement is totally different than flare when the photogapht was taken. The dark areas bleed to the light areas. For some scenes this is good. I showed a print with some intentional diffusion at one of our last print viewings and Dorothy has used that technique. With portriats the results may be disturbing. I once saw it [flare during the printing process] described as making portriats suitable for the "Munsters" or "Adam's Family."
    3) I think using 'vintage' enlarging lenses for intentional effect when making prints is a wide-open field, but don't expect results similar to a brass lens used to expose the negative. It has its own look that may be only suitable to certain subjects.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    My thoughts on the subject:
    1) lack of resolution in enlarging lenses just makes bad prints. If the grain is not sharp (it won't be with a bad lens) the print looks bad. If the grain is sharp in the center and blurry at the edges it is even worse.
    2) Flare at the time of negative enlargement is totally different than flare when the photogapht was taken. The dark areas bleed to the light areas. For some scenes this is good. I showed a print with some intentional diffusion at one of our last print viewings and Dorothy has used that technique. With portriats the results may be disturbing. I once saw it [flare during the printing process] described as making portriats suitable for the "Munsters" or "Adam's Family."
    3) I think using 'vintage' enlarging lenses for intentional effect when making prints is a wide-open field, but don't expect results similar to a brass lens used to expose the negative. It has its own look that may be only suitable to certain subjects.
    Thanks Dale - that's kind of what I was expecting. I'm probably better off using diffusion and such where wanted.

I might still dig up an old lens to play with though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin