Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,331   Online: 960

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

With a voltage stabalizer the bulbs last halfway to forever. The other trick is to set the voltage on back of the column to 220 and run the enlarger on 110.

Or buy the original Leitz stabaliser that applies voltage slowly on startup so it take 2/3 sec to reach full brightness. This item cost $400 in 1985 and was $1000 when last made. Good luck finding one. Mine is not for sale.

Shooter
    35mm
    With a voltage stabalizer the bulbs last halfway to forever.
    That's not the function of a voltage stabilizer, it only assures a more constant light output (does not compensates for lamp aging). OTOH, a transient suppressor (much cheaper) will do the trick. To be fair, some stabilizers also include a suppressor.

The other trick is to set the voltage on back of the column to 220 and run the enlarger on 110.
    . This way your lamp will last forever... but you will get less than a quarter of its light output and with a severe color shift towards orange. Not viable for color work, and with unpredictable results with multicontrast papers (a softer contrast may be expected, and harder grades may be not reachable).

Finally, there are stabilizers that include a "ramp output" feature. This will, in fact, extend the lamp life many times (forever?).
    The Leitz one does not seem to be one of those, but that's just a guess.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been trying to find the 13139-bulb for ages. There's one Philips 13139 labeled "DENTAL".. same bulb?

Shooter
    35mm
    Here you can find the bulb today. I bought mine at 1/3 that price early this year, but it seems they are gone now...
    Marcelo

Shooter
    35mm
    You can but the original lamp for 15.00 a pop (2 lamps for $30) here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220830459296...84.m1423.l2649

Or you can buy the equivalent bulb, but not "Leitz" stamped as approved,
    the EFN, in a box of 10 lamps for 70.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290604550768...84.m1423.l2649

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those new Philips bulbs of the EFN type sounds interesting and would be worth a try. I read somewhere a long time ago that the new Philips EFN should be equal in specs to the old 13139.

Although the Osram is also of the EFN type and that didnīt work out very well. It is a bit strange since it is supposed to have been made to the exact same specs as the Philips bulb.

But 70 dollars for 10 bulbs is a true bargain if they would turn out to work ok.

Shooter
    35mm
    At $15 per bulb, which is about double the normal bulb cost, but these lamps last forever, which makes the cost per use next to nothing, I just bought 5 more original lamps.
    That should last me the rest of my life.

It is one of the greatest enlargers ever made, it is worth the splurge for the right bulb, if you have any doubts about the substitute lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by thaung View Post
    Those new Philips bulbs of the EFN type sounds interesting and would be worth a try. I read somewhere a long time ago that the new Philips EFN should be equal in specs to the old 13139.

Although the Osram is also of the EFN type and that didnīt work out very well. It is a bit strange since it is supposed to have been made to the exact same specs as the Philips bulb.

But 70 dollars for 10 bulbs is a true bargain if they would turn out to work ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have bought an additional three Philips 13139 lamps. I have now five in total.
    Should keep me going for a while...

I do not know if production of these lamps has stopped, but they were in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    At $15 per bulb, which is about double the normal bulb cost, but these lamps last forever, which makes the cost per use next to nothing
    The original 13139 lamp is of the EFP type and lasts 1,000 hours.
    The EFN type lamp is not the original, but serves as replacement... and lasts just 50 hours (read the specs).
    So, the cost is far from next to nothing.
    Marcelo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfo View Post
    The original 13139 lamp is of the EFP type and lasts 1,000 hours.
    The EFN type lamp is not the original, but serves as replacement... and lasts just 50 hours (read the specs).
    So, the cost is far from next to nothing.
    I think you may have mixed up my statements,
    I was referring to the original bulb, which is 15 dollars per bulb at the moment (read the post with the link to both bulb prices).
    So, at 15 dollars per bulb, the cost per use, is next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    At $15 per bulb, which is about double the normal bulb cost, but these lamps last forever, which makes the cost per use next to nothing, I just bought 5 more original lamps.
    That should last me the rest of my life.

It is one of the greatest enlargers ever made, it is worth the splurge for the right bulb, if you have any doubts about the substitute lamp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin