Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,209   Online: 864

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leitz Focomat V35 lamp advice

Hi folks

I own a Focomat V35 since about 6 months back and have been using it quite frequently since then. Mine is the new model that originally uses the Philips 13139 bulb. It so happens that it was exactly that type of bulb that was installed in my enlarger when I bought it.

But, I few weeks ago the bulb stopped working and since the Philips 13139 is no longer manufactured I ordered a Osram 64615 after reading at http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm that it should work. Once installed, it did fit but the enlarger is nowhere near as bright as it was when using the original Philips 13139.

I have done some controlled tests using the P13139 and the O64615 and when just projecting the light without a neg in the carrier the light with the Osram lamp is about 2 stops darker.

I have seen on other sites that this has been discussed before but I wonder how other people here are doing that uses this enlarger. I finally found a Philips 13139 to buy and install, sure enough the enlarger is now as bright as it was when I first bought it.

But how to proceed? I refuse to use the Osram lamp, the enlarger is pretty much useless when printing bigger prints due to the long exposuretimes. Do you guys have any suggestions to other bulbs that work as good as the original 13139 or any other tips or advice regarding replacement bulbs?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry for not answering your actual question, but the Philips bulb seems to be still widely available (in Netherlands at least). Why not stock up?

http://shop.fotohuisrovo.nl/product_...fd3588652eefe1

http://www.diaprojectie.nl/product.a...0-%2075%20watt

http://www.hafonline.nl/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=30

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, stocking up with a couple of bulbs is a good idea and one I have thought of before. But even though the bulbs do last a very long time Id like to have a backup plan "if all else fails". It would be great to know if any bulbs currently in production can match the 13139 when used in the V35.

But thank you for the links anyway, I will probably order at least one or two more so Im good for the forseable future.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Personally if you can still buy the bulb you need, I'd buy 10-20 of them. A lifetime supply.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also use a V35 and Im very (very) happy with it, so I bought two dozens of spare bulbs... just in case.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    35mm
    Coincidentally, I am looking around for the older style of bulb (Philips 6604) and it looks like there is no alternative to an adapter plus the newer bulb size . . . unless anyone knows different?

Shooter
    35mm
    Martin, have you seen this ? http://tinyurl.com/V35-bulb-adapter

A little expensive though...
    Marcelo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding the older Philips 6604, Im quite certain that the only way besides locating the original bulb (quite difficult to say the least), is to replace the lamp-holder with the new type.

And to sum up the discussion regarding the Philips 13139 and Osram 64615, I have done some further testing this week between the two bulbs and have concluded that the Osram bulbs is not in any way an adequate replacement for the Philips 13139. The enlarger simply gets to dark, 2-4 stops depending on what neg used and that is simply put, not ok. Is there anyone that have tried bulbs of any other brand in the V35 that has any other experience?

Anyway, dont buy the Osram bulb, waste of money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the link Marcelo. Yes, that is the adapter for which I was hoping there's an alternative! Ah well, it prevents the machine becoming a 'paperweight' so I'll order one and see how it goes.

It's possible the angle of the beam on the Osram bulb is too wide. The width of the light-path seems quite narrow and if the reflector doesn't have a tight beam then a lot of light will never reach the inside of the mixing-box. I'll be doubly sure to locate the new Philips bulb....

Shooter
    35mm
    I found my 13139 bulbs here , but now they seem to be out of stock...
    Marcelo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin