Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,118   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst enlargers that will do 6x7

I'm trying to find out which Durst enlargers will do 6x7 negatives and aren't huge. I'm familiar with the bigger models and the color ones. But I want a nice sturdy, not too heavy, compact model that will enlarge 6x7 negs. Maybe I'm on a wild goose chase but I can't even turn up model info on anything other than the AC707 and the Laborator 1000. Both of which don't really fit the bill. As a matter of fact, it seems tough to find a lot of info on all of the different Durst models. I know they made more than 3 or 4, but there doesn't seem to be much info online about more than 3 or 4...(probably the ones that are still selling for high$!!!)..TIA...
    Last edited by mtngael; 09-01-2011 at 06:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Durst M670 BW goes up to 6x7 with the appropriate conversion module ("Vegaset 67"), according to the linked PDF, and certainly isn't "huge" compared to other common enlargers. I haven't used it for that though, since I only use it for 35 mm film. The less common Durst Modular 70 enlarger should be capable of 6x7 too.

Here is a link to a Durst folder showing the most recent enlargers Durst created before its demise and all their options:
    http://www.darkroom.ru/info/manuals/...atalog_eng.pdf

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought my 6x7 (RZ67) from a pro when he was going digital. He suggested a Durst enlarger, but said that most people who go up to 6x7, usually, eventually, go to 4x5. This is probably something you don’t want to hear as you are looking at space and budget. However in my own case I went to 4x5”, 8x10”, 7x17” and then a 6x9cm folder. At your stage I bought an LPL 4550 VCE with lenses and holders for 35mm, 6x7, then 4x5 and most recently 6x9. I have since added a Durst 138S converted to 8x10 and cold light. I am color blind so these are only for B&W.

I should add that because of abundent supply none of this equipment was purchased new.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The M800 will do up to 6x9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.durst.it/fileadmin/user_u..._Equipment.pdf

The negative size is in this service list from Durst.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a M700 used. You can do down to 35mm but also up to 6x9 with it depending on the installed condensor and lens, see:
    http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00BbIh
    The M800 is quite similar (mainly a more sturdy mount), I bought a slightly broken one which included the Unicon 105 condensor that was not included with the M700 I bought and for spares.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a few Durst L1200s and they are great. I'm sure that their smaller units would be nice as well.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent. Thanks to all for the info. I'm not sure why I couldn't find what I needed. I'm using 6x6 and some 35mm now but I have about 200 6x7 negatives and wouldn't mind printing some of them! I have a Beseler 23cXL enlarger currently but using it is impractical as I'll be doing the makeshift/temp bathroom darkroom thing so size, weight, and less alignment procedure is pretty important! I'll start looking at these.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As the owner of both a Durst M670 and an M700 I would recommend going for one of the older Dursts (M700, M800) instead of the M670. The M700 feels more sturdy and less plasticky, which makes working with it sooo much nicer. But if you don't have the choice, the M670 is very fine in its own right.

Just be careful that you get the right condensor with your Durst. I'm not sure if the 6x6-designated condensor (called something like Bimacon 80?) also covers 6x7. You may need the 6x9 condensor. Separate condensors can be very hard to find, especially for the older models (such as the M700/M800); for the M670 you can often find 'new old stock' condensors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    Excellent. Thanks to all for the info. I'm not sure why I couldn't find what I needed. I'm using 6x6 and some 35mm now but I have about 200 6x7 negatives and wouldn't mind printing some of them! I have a Beseler 23cXL enlarger currently but using it is impractical as I'll be doing the makeshift/temp bathroom darkroom thing so size, weight, and less alignment procedure is pretty important! I'll start looking at these.
    Can you put your Beseler on a low cart?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin