Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,976   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cold Light Help? Beseler 45 mb...Are they worth a darn?

Lot's of knowledgeable people here it looks like and I was hoping somebody could help me out.

I bought a Beseler 45MXII this weekend and it came with a condenser head and also a cold light an old Beseler 45 mb. I've never used a cold head/light before, upon firing it up it shines a blueish color. Is this something that is usable on VC paper? Should I trash it and buy a color head? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is a normal color for a cold light head.

There are lots of different opions about using it with VC papers, as it usually depends on which version you have. However, I have always used a cold light as my main light source, altho i have all three types. Generally I only use graded papers, but I have had students use this enlarger with VC papers and filters, and it worked fine.

I would never just trash it as I am sure there is someone around (here at least) that would take it off your hands.

ps. did you ask a similar question on another site? Or, there is a run on these enlargers and light sources LOL
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A cold light is used with a difuser, not condensors, you'll need the white plastic disk to replace the large condensors.

I have the older cold light version (W45) n love it for greaded n VC papers. I do split filtered prints and feel I have so much more control.

I find without any filtration my VC paper respond like a greade 4 or 5. Then with a #1 KODAK gel filter I can bring in my softer highlight details.

If you ever consider selling it, please contact me, I can use a spare head?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to print exclusively with a cold light on a Beseler enlarger, and I became EXTREMELY proficient in burning and dodging, just to compensate for the horribly uneven field of illumination. Try for yourself. Focus the enlarger and expose a sheet of paper to zone 5 or so, without a negative. You'll see what I mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Uneven illumination? Were you using a diffuser or the condenors or both? You have to use the white plastic diffusers to replace the condenors otherwise you will get uneven illumination.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I would stick to the condenser head and use multigrade filters. More predictable in my experience.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I would stick to the condenser head and use multigrade filters. More predictable in my experience.

Jon
    Thank you for all the replies.

Jon - I was thinking the same thing, but I was hoping to use some type of diffusion head to help eliminate dust. I suppose this is another topic all together, but are there tricks to do so when using a condenser head? Thanks again!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    re: dust, if you put the neg in and then turn on the enlarger and open the enlarger a crack, you will see all the dust specks on the top of the film illuminated brilliantly. Then you can either try to blow them off, or use something called a speckgrabber.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    re: dust, if you put the neg in and then turn on the enlarger and open the enlarger a crack, you will see all the dust specks on the top of the film illuminated brilliantly. Then you can either try to blow them off, or use something called a speckgrabber.

Jon
    cool. thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think cold light heads are originally designed for graded paper which is blue sensitive. Modern VC papers are blue and green sensitive. I've used them and they're too dim for me, but some say due to the blue sensitivity, you'll get shorter printing times. I have a Beseler 4x5 enlarger and I have a color dichroic head and it works well with VC paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin