Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,526   Online: 786

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cleaning Chemical Bottles

I recently bought a Jobo processor which came with a set of used chemical bottles. According to the markings, these bottles have been used for E6 and C41 process, though I don't think they've been used in several years. At the moment, I only process B&W, and would like to use these bottles so I can use tempered water and chemistry.

Is is possible to clean them entirely, or will the chemicals have worked their way into the plastic? Am I better off buying new bottles for B&W, and keeping these aside for when I get into E6 and C41? I'm not even sure if these are available new these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The usual cleaner is chromic acid - a concentrated version of dichromate bleach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromic_acid This is usually used for laboratory glassware but TTBOMK, Kodak also recommends the stuff for cleaning processing equipment of organic deposits.

To remove silver deposits try this Kodak mixture: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...000/ti2000.pdf, you can probably make your own from this list of ingredients http://www.lacrosselitho.com/library...20150-0719.pdf: Sodium Bisulfite 200g; Sodium Sulfite 100g; Sodium Citrate 10g; water 1l.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the gunk doesn't come off when you clean the bottles then it, er, doesn't come off - and so it won't mix into the B&W processing chemicals.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 09-08-2011 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geoffsco, I acquired a JOBO a year ago and for some reason only just recently started wondering if the stained plastic (labeled e-6 and ektaprint) could leach and taint my C41 or B/W development. I have had no issues whatsoever FWIW.
    Still good to know about these links and resources for cleaning - thanks Nicolas Lindan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amac212 View Post
    Geoffsco, I acquired a JOBO a year ago and for some reason only just recently started wondering if the stained plastic (labeled e-6 and ektaprint) could leach and taint my C41 or B/W development. I have had no issues whatsoever FWIW.
    No issues are to be expected. Any quantity that might leach out has been reduced by every usage with your new (C41 or B&W) chemistry. I assume you have dedicated one set to C41 and another set to B&W from now on. Even that is probably not necessary in practice if the drums are cleaned with warm water after each run. But personally I would devote one set of drums to C41 and another set to B&W just to put my mind at ease that one possible variable of inconsistency has been eliminated. Even if any crossover effect is surely too small to measure I wouldn't have to worry or think about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffsco View Post
    Am I better off buying new bottles for B&W, and keeping these aside for when I get into E6 and C41? I'm not even sure if these are available new these days.
    I would take some used spent developer and put it into the bottle you wish to devote to developer and let it sit for a week in a warm spot of the house. That way any leaching or chemical exchange would go to equilibrium. Likewise with some stop bath and exhausted fix in respective bottles.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I use Polident on old glass bottles. If one overnight treatment doesn't complete the job, a second one does. This wil likely work on plastic also.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin