Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,903   Online: 932

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Woes.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

No water, no outlets, no problem.

I too have a dry darkroom, plus there are no electrical outlets, I run an extension cord under the door. I print fiber with no problems by using a holding tray, then transferring to a Versalab 11x14 archival washer at my kitchen sink.

My room is 7 feet 4 inch by 8 feet 10 inch. I have a lot in it, but it is well spaced and quite easy to use. It holds my Omega D3V enlarger, Polaroid MP4 camera, film drying cabinet, cabinets with my chemicals, reels, and assorted supplies. I have made a quick assemble/take down drying screen rack that I use on my counter top once I'm done developing and have put away the trays. If you have any questions about my set up, please ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dark2.jpg   dark1.jpg   dark3.jpg  
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you buy a Y junction and run a garden hose from the existing hose?
    There are Y junctions with on/off valves.
    I work in a bsement too, shared with washer/dryer, so I put one of those Ys in the washer water connection, garden hose and voila!

Same fro drain, you can even get a large tray, make a hole on the bottom and run another piece of garden hose to the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    The room is in a sectioned off part of the basement, and the closest running water is a small hose on the otherside of the basement that is primarily used to fill a big tank of water in the water softener system. Doing RC I'd just fill up two buckets and go dev->stop->fix->holding tray->few minutes in first deep bucket->into last deep bucket until wash.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by veriwide
    I too have a dry darkroom ....
    Great heavens!! The place is NEAT!!!

It is a shock ... I hadn't realized that a "darkroom" could exist without piles of "working" prints, empty chemistry bottles that "I'm going to use ... sometime...", odds and ends that I haven't put away yet ... Papers and magazines not filed yet...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Here in the states, if you have a Home Depot, they make some pretty easy lines to use for doing a darkroom,

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass
    That is interesting. What is it made from? Is it flexible or stiff? How does it join into copper hot and cold lines? Should I just ask for "Quest" at Home Depot and annoy them with these questions?

I have a waterless darkroom and don't really mind carrying my prints into the bathroom at the end of the evening for washing but it is a huge PITA trying to deal with that tiny, dainty, round vanity sink and space is a problem. I am seriously considering putting a utility sink in another room if I can do do it cheaply and as easily as possible.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Neal,

Quest is the brand name, and it is in the same spot as the copper tubeing in our home depot, it uses compression type fittings to attach to the copper, I have used it extensivly when I was in the RV business and have replace a lot of the piping in our Mobil home with it and it is good stuff, just cut your copper line, slip on the nut, then the cone and the ring and tighten with a cresent wrench, I have never had a leak from it, and like I said, I have used it extensivly. Forgot to mention, it is semi flexible and pretty easy to work with, you can cut it with a pocket knife.

Let me know if I can help more.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass

Images
    Thanks Dave,
    It sounds like just the ticket. I will swing by HD this afternoon and look into it.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    I went Home Depot and asked where I could find the Quest plumbing fittings. They looked at me like I was from Mars. I'm not surprised, I think that if I had asked those banjos where I could find a wrench they would have looked at me like I was from Mars.

Maybe I'll try Lowes.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Great heavens!! The place is NEAT!!!

It is a shock ... I hadn't realized that a "darkroom" could exist without piles of "working" prints, empty chemistry bottles that "I'm going to use ... sometime..."
    That's why I didn't include shots of the rest of the house. LOL
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response so far, all I ask now is any thoughts on the final wash. Would an item like this washer suffice? Or do I need some big rig with the adjective "archival" attached to the description. What about the standing water method that I remember reading about a year or so ago where you just fill a tank with the prints in, and let it just stand so that the chemicals seep out, then drain and refill and repeat a few times. I have an unused fish tank around here that I could easily rig up dividers to let it accommodate multiple prints for this method.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    It really depends on how much work you are planning to do. I have used most every method you mentioned. I am doing the most work I have ever done now. I just bought an 11x14 Versalab archivial washer and I love it!! I did 80 8x10's in it this weekend. If I were using the "rapid tray", I'd still be washing them. The Versalab washers are on sale right now and the 11x14 is @$190. It is pricey, but in my mind it has already paid for itself with convenience, speed, and ease of use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin