Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,094   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper flasher I vs II

Quick question. What exactly is the difference between the RH Designs paper flasher versions I and II? Is it simply the waterproof membrane? Do they function in exactly the same fashion otherwise? Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check with them directly, at darkroom [at) rhdesigns.co.uk - Richard will answer your questions, I am sure. Nice chap.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Waterproof membrane? Are you serious? Save your money, buy a sheet of lee diffusion gel #216 for $7, flash your paper directly under the enlarger with neg. in carrier.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall contacting Richard at RH Designs about exactly the same thing several months ago. As Jerevan has said he was very helpful. I think I recall that the mark I had a very tight battery compartment compared to the mark II making battery replacement a litle more difficult. You just need to be more careful. I don't recall anything about a waterproof membrane or Richard mentioning this but that isn't to say there isn't a waterproof membrane.

The flasher is in my opinion just a little more convenient that the diffusion gel method mentioned. In fact that's a British understatement. It is a good deal more convenient and worthwhile if flashing is a regular part of your process but you may have concluded that yourself

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Got Flasher II and don't see any evidence of being waterproof (and don't want to test ;-) Its a great tool for when working with enlarging paper. But to low for contact paper such as Lodima.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is using blue-tack or velcro to adhere this over-priced, poorly thought-out gizmo to the ceiling or the lensboard of your enlarger really easier than holding a piece of diffusion over your lens for a few seconds? Yeah, I think I'll hang it from the ceiling so I can see my shadow on the paper I'm intending on flashing Wow, look how easy! And is that supposed ease of use really worth 77 pounds? What's next - a talking thermometer? Looks like more shiny bait for well-heeled darkroom amateurs. Do you remember the sorely missed Dauxlite II? I wonder how many suckers bought that magic tool? Save your cash.

Shooter
    35mm
    I apologise for extending the thread to cover my opinion on value for money which is now in danger of becoming the "main event".

I should have confined my answer to what the OP wanted to know which had nothing to do with my or any other APUGer's views on value for money

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Is using blue-tack or velcro to adhere this over-priced, poorly thought-out gizmo to the ceiling or the lensboard of your enlarger really easier than holding a piece of diffusion over your lens for a few seconds? Yeah, I think I'll hang it from the ceiling so I can see my shadow on the paper I'm intending on flashing Wow, look how easy! And is that supposed ease of use really worth 77 pounds? What's next - a talking thermometer? Looks like more shiny bait for well-heeled darkroom amateurs. Do you remember the sorely missed Dauxlite II? I wonder how many suckers bought that magic tool? Save your cash.
    Well, there is more to the flasher than that. The consistent output coupled with timing ability makes it worthwhile. I can't see how diffusion over the lens for a few seconds is equal to evenly distributed consistent light with precise timing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I've found a piece of diffusion gel material filter made up of, well... a sheet of paper, a styrofoam coffee cup, or whatever to be far harder to control than the RH flasher kit I broke down and bought several years ago. I can't speak to the OP about I or II, but apparently, neither can you, and it would be far more helpful to confine your comments to the question at hand, and offer more constructive advice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As far as where to mount the Flasher, ideally it would be on something like a filter holder that would swing over the lens when flashing. On my Durst L1000, I'm missing that part; so have attached it to one side of the lens board via velcro.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin