Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,487   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not 100% on this, but I remember hearing that the 40mm APO-Com-H was designed for enlarging APS-sized negatives, or 1/2-frame negatives. This line of lenses was brought to market in the late 90s, when APS cameras were becoming more popular.

But since it covers the 35mm frame completely, it doubles as a WA 35mm enlarging lens. A friend of mine makes 20x30" enlargements from his 35mm negatives(both color and b/w), and he uses the 40mm to achieve this, using a Durst 4x5 enlarger with a drop table. It helps since he only has 8' ceilings in his apartment, and doesn't have to reach as high up to adjust things vs using a 50mm(or 63mm) lens. He previously used a 63mm El-Nikkor 3.5 for printing, but he wanted to go bigger with his printing. He has now "standardized" on pretty much using the 40mm ACH only.
    The 63mm nikkor now sits in a drawer 99% of the time .

thing is though: he said he had to get a recessed lensboard(about 25mm) for his enlarger, so he could use the bellows to focus rather than racking the head up and down

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, but I remember hearing that the 40mm APO-Com-H was designed for enlarging APS-sized negatives, or 1/2-frame negatives.
    The MTF data on the Schneider site shows coverage for a 24x36mm frame for the 40mm APO Componon HM. As far as I know, they did not make an APS format lens. The 25mm Componon shows coverage of 18x24 and the 35 and 40mm Componon lenses shows coverage of 24x24. APS is 30.2x16.7mm and the letters "APS" are not found in the Schneider Enlarging Lens brochure.
    This is an apochromatic 40mm f2.8 enlarging lens, most commonly used to make photographic prints with 35mm negatives. The 40mm focal length allows a 20% shorter enlarger column height--Schneideroptics.com
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-25-2011 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the 45 followed the 40mm and that the 45 was regarded as slower but sharper in the corners? I am pretty sure I have read comments from several people saying that the 45 performed better across the field and is stunning from wide open.

I use a 63 nikkor as I have a huge enlager which does not like even regular 50mm lenses in a recessed panel.

I have a 45 2.8 APO and Leica 40 2.8.

I got the 45 used and cheap. I though it was junk as the corners blurred to 11. Years later I tried it on a diffusion enlarger and it worked well. Since that discovery, I tried it on a variety if diffusion and condenser enlargers I own with the same result, poor corners on condensers. Glass carriers and perfect alignment make no difference.

Focotar 40 2.8 made for the V35 is the same is the same.

So if you want to put it on a condenser enlarger, I would tell you not to buy either.

Build a stand with drop table or increase distance another way. And get a lens with 6 elements for high mag work that is not a wide angle design. A cheap lens will not make good large prints. Then you need to align the enlarger and use a grain magnifier to focus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin