Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,527   Online: 992

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Give some thought to storage of paper, chemicals, reels, trays, etc. I just have pegboard above my sink and have my dry side supported by cabinets. I used a Panasonic built in bathroom fan (ususally mounts in an attic to ventilate a bathroom), a baffled vent to the outside and a filtrete furnace filter mounted on the outlet of the fan. It controls dust well, but I wish I had a bit more through flow. Something to think about. I'd also consider swapping your slop sink unless the slop sink is part of your line of trays. When you consider the height of your enlarger table, also look at the ceiling height and decide if your enlarger can reach full height. Lastly, I'd definitely mount the enlarger on your table directly and adding a drop table. That can make your bench height reasonable and still get the enlargement size you need when you want it. I'd be happy to show you my darkroom and all the good ideas and mistakes that went with it. I'm in Highland Park.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Alright folks, I did a dry run, set up everything. Before anyone comments, this is a dry run, I have never printed here on carpet and never will, carpet will go. I think after all the wonderful comments re realism, I just set her all up and I LOVE it. The 2 hockey sticks will be the walls and the single hockey stick a door.

Note that "print drying rack" is really just two pieces of furniture I stacked for illustration but the size is roughly what I am thinking. I threw some drying racks on it so you get the idea. 2F/2F, thanks for the 11" comment, I now am thinking maybe 1.5 feet or something. The roll of wrapping paper is wall that will extend from the beam to the already there wall by my "pseudo drying rack".

Also the Kodak box and dryer/paper cutter on it represents how far I am thinking the table should extend. That table the enlargers are on is 2' 5". I cant see going bigger, but pondering drop leaf like 2F/2F thought of. Note that table you see is a $30 Ikea table that I will never use, it is for illustration.

Still trying to digest all this, but I am now starting to think that I dont want a table butting up to the main sink (NW corner) like my orig drawing showed. I never would have realized this without doing a dry run, thanks so much all for your comments encouraging realism!

So now you have a better sense, any comments? You are all so kind!

Chairs that hold up the main sink and print washer are illustration only.

Shot from basement stairs:

Shot from basement stairs:

Shot from inside furnace room:

Shot towards stairs and furnace room door:

Last edited by zsas; 09-24-2011 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oh and before anyone thinks of it - the house came with the pink walls (prior owners had a bunch of girls). Pink will go, prob white liek 2F/2F thougt, unless anyone has any other paint thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Need to ponder some of the recent above comments after the dry run...will reply later...but thanks all for your comments and especially Mark for the invitation, think that might be in order. I have no 'analog friends' in IL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing like mocking up with real stuff! Looks like you can make it work. Remember, the items will be back from the wall a bit if you have open plumbing. For purpose built darkrooms, drop tables are nice, as said, so you can have the enlarger up higher like 32 inches or even 36 inches rather than the 26 inches which is common table height. If you mount it too high you can always build a low 3 inch box to stand on if you need to. I built a workbench high, the height of which I found by the best combination for close work leaned over only very slightly plus my natural bend of arms while planing. I'm very glad I did.

Re paint: I'd suggest light bright spectrally neutral gray all over, but 4 feet and 2 feet of matte black in the enlarger corner. Reduces splash of light while burning and dodging.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Forgot to mention have these two beauties:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    zsas:

Can you do another diagram/sketch, so we can compare the original with the new?

I ask, because I'm getting turned around as I try to orient myself in your dry run.

In particular, I'm wondering whether the nook that is delineated by the wrapping paper might make a perfect location for your larger enlarger.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My only hesitation to that is if the dry rack gets ever near the main sink then splashes might get on the prints? Or can that be mitigated by making a contained covered dry rack or does that promote mold? Will try a new sketch but might take some time as my pc is tied up for a bit. (sent from phone)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Splashes should be no problem - If you are concerned a short piece of easily retracted shower curtain between the two should do the trick.

The sketch is always handy - a "birds eye view" reveals some things that photos can't (and vice-versa).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Matt - Ohhhh, I am liking this! I think I can have my cake and eat it too. What if I moved the larger enlarger to the SW nook like you thought and then on that nook, built a dry rack???!!! Seems like this would work. And it opens up the darkroom a bit more!

Think the Kodak box would be more table. Mod'ed the table with the hockey sticks of course to show a dry rack (note this rinky table wd never be in my actual darkroom):

Rear view, this would be wall:

The white hockey stick on ground on below photo would be door:

Humm...liking this, not as cramped!
    Last edited by zsas; 09-24-2011 at 05:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin