Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 929

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

You need to layout to scale.

Second is a corner table upper right. Ok for storage, not for work as reach is too far.

Maybe a removeable top for the sink to serve as a print finishing table. Or a fold down one opposite the sink . Either solution will give you fits if you need to move a large dry mount press and cooling weights.

Read up on drying prints. Screens really do not work well for FB. Blotter pack/fan dryers are the only way. Again something you do not want to move much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Read up on drying prints. Screens really do not work well for FB. Blotter pack/fan dryers are the only way. Again something you do not want to move much.
    Screens or cotton towels have always worked great for me. I've also used heated-drum print dryers with a canvas belt from time to time. They work when they work, but require good maintenance (dusting, making sure nothing touches them that is not properly archival-processed, keeping the metal surface clean, etc.) I have hung prints with tacks. Not ideal, but definitely "a way." And, yes, I've used blotter books and fan dryers too.

There are a lot of options...no "only way." If you feel that blotter books or fan dryers are the best way, then go ahead and say just that. But saying something is "the only way" is just inaccurate, pompous, and unhelpful.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Oh and before anyone thinks of it - the house came with the pink walls (prior owners had a bunch of girls). Pink will go, prob white liek 2F/2F thougt, unless anyone has any other paint thoughts?
    Hey, nothing wrong with pink! If it is good shape, no need to spend the time and money to re-paint. You won't see the color in the dark anyhow. IME, any light color is a decent choice. What I don't like is dark walls in darkrooms.

I like the way it looks, BTW. It will be quite nice in the end.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is another idea for a drying rack. I found this rack at Home Depot. I made the screen frames from the stuff you would make home window screens from.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dont know where u are but someone on Clist had darkroom door ,revolving type pretty cheap in the Ontario,CAl area.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Graph it in Photoshop

I, too, am working on designing my darkroom. I posted recently in the "Darkroom Portraits" thread to show my design, also some pictures of the space.

The design was done in Photoshop, with Grid to Gridlines every 1 inch, Subdivisions 2. Measure it lay it out to the closest 1/2 foot. The tables, sink, etc. should be on their own layers so you can move them around to see what fits best.

Having designed several kitchens, I can say that less than 3' for your walkways will be tight, but okay. Two feet will seem impassable.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any thoughts on layout? Any pitfalls you see here?
    Your sink isn't big enough.

I doubt whether everything will work out perfectly for you through construction (especially if a contractor is involved), so plan on the unexpected, and consider the latitude for options once built, as your needs change.

You may want to take a look at A Darkroom Portrait for its specificity in design and function.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    2F/2F - Thanks, yeah jusk kinda 'hacked' it in Excel. Dont know CAD or anything like that. There a freeware or anything you recommend?
    ProgeCAD is good and free and is an AutoCAD clone. However, if you don't know CAD, paper pencil and a ruler is fine.

http://www.caddit.net/progecad/smart.php

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin