Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,665   Online: 1230

Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm ss reels - 36 or 24 exp?

Just thinking out loud here. When developing 35mm film I've always used Hewes reels in my 2-reel Kindermann tank. I develop one roll at a time, the loaded reel on the bottom with a spacer reel on top. I was thinking, do you suppose there would be any less turbulence or risk of surge etc if one used 24 exposure reels instead? I thought maybe since there's more space between the guides. I also thought perhaps development might be a bit more even along the entire roll since on a 24 exposure reel the beginning of the roll is further away from the center of the tank. I don't have problems with uneven development, just wondering if anyone else out there had tried this.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you pick up a single 35mm tank to process if you are concerned with using the two reel unit. I've never had any problems with a single reel tank, only with double reel ones.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never liked the one-reel units because the volume is way too low for me. I can't say I've ever had any problems with the two-reel tank. I was just wondering if in general a 24-exposure reel would reduce the chances of things like surge (even in a one-reel tank).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Michael,

I'd think that you could possibly get surge issues with either a one or two reels tank if they were not filled to capacity (although that's debatable since I have used a four reels tank to develop one roll of 120 with PMK and two empty reels on top and never had a single problem). At full volume, I just don't see how that would happen since developer displacement is really not an issue. Also, if you are worried about that, you could always roll the tank on its side, instead of inversions.

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only ever developed one roll at a time in my two-reel Kindermann tank. The loaded reel is on the bottom and I always have an empty reel on top as a spacer.

I've got a Kindermann 24 exposure reel that I used to use way back. Perhaps I'll try it just for fun. Although first I'd need to create a surge problem with the 36 exposure reel, perhaps with more vigorous agitation, and then see if the 24 exposure reel makes any difference. Just curious that's all.

By the way, it's interesting you raise the issue of full volume. I was always taught (from way back) not to fill the tank quite to capacity with chemistry but leave maybe 1/4" of air space at the top. But there are quite a few method books that recommend filling the tank right to the top (or dropping the loaded reels into an already-filled tank). Interesting. Perhaps another experiment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I don't have problems with uneven development, just wondering if anyone else out there had tried this.
    I can't say I've ever had any problems with the two-reel tank.
    first I'd need to create a surge problem with the 36 exposure reel, perhaps with more vigorous agitation,
    I tend to have enough problems with refining my photography that I don't feel the need to create new ones to solve.

On the other hand: "Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the life blood of real civilization." -- G. M. Trevelyan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hewes does not, to my knowledge, make a 24-exposure reel. So just by switching to some lesser reel design to get the 24 exposure length, you'd be adding pointless headaches...

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point I tried to search for a Hewes 24 and it doesn't exist. But my old Kindermann 24 is an excellent reel, as good as Hewes so I'll still give it a go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know, another way to test that theory, probably an even better way, is to get one of the older 4.5" Nikor reel and tank setups. It's the same diameter tank used for the 4x5" (adjustable cut-sheet) reel, but they made 35mm and 120 reels for it that filled that diameter... and therefore had much greater spacing between the film loops... and they made shorter tanks than the 4x5 monster, for single 35mm reels and 120 reels, etc.

In fact I hope your tests show a marked benefit to doing this, 'cause then the 4.5" Nikor tanks and reels I have in a box somewhere will be worth enough money for me to go dig them out and sell them :-)

Duncan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin