Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,730   Online: 897

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Have you used an inline chiller?

I'm curious about using one in a darkroom. They are pretty reasonably priced and look easy to install. Do you have any experience with them. Can you reccomend a flow rate for one dedicated to a low-volumne b&w darkroom? It would supply water baths, chemical mixing and archival washers.

The d\r has a Haas mixing unit, so the chiller would send cold sater to that.

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not used one, but the thermodynamics of the situation suggest a constant low flow environment should be easier for a chiller to deal with than intermittent high volume uses. Any fluctuations in the amount of cold could be dealt with by it adding in a bit of hot.

My wing lynch water panel work in this vein. My incoming cold water in th winter causes it to click for hot more often than in the summer. I am lucky that my cold from the municipal never runs much warmer than 18C, even at low flow rates.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure what you are looking at that is 'reasonably priced.' I found one on-line for $350 rated at 1 gallon per hour. That might work on the cold-water inlet of a Jobo. Do you have a link to some other units.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made one in the mid 70's, I needed de-ionised water at >2° but above freezing for emulsion manufacture. All it cost was a few minutes time to take the bits from a scrap refridgerator and hook up to a tank, worked perfectly for well over a decade.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure what you are looking at that is 'reasonably priced.' I found one on-line for $350 rated at 1 gallon per hour. That might work on the cold-water inlet of a Jobo. Do you have a link to some other units.
    In terms of specs, this is more what I had in mind. But then, I have just started researching this. The price is not as important as it's suitability.

I'd think 3gph would be plenty for general d\r use plus feeding an archival washer. They typically are pretty frugal on water....

This unit quotes 3 gph. Doesn't say what water temp. It has an adjustible thermostat.

-R

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear reggie,

"...plus feeding an archival washer."

Is your tap water so hot that you can't use it to wash prints?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    In terms of specs, this is more what I had in mind. But then, I have just started researching this. The price is not as important as it's suitability.

I'd think 3gph would be plenty for general d\r use plus feeding an archival washer. They typically are pretty frugal on water....

This unit quotes 3 gph. Doesn't say what water temp. It has an adjustible thermostat.

-R
    I wrote to TradeWind Chillers asking for product advice and he wrote back:

"
    HI MIKE, OUR IL-35 WILL WORK FINE. YOU WILL NEED ABOUT 8 GALLON PER MINUTE GOING THROUGH THE CHILLER. LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP, SINCE YOU ARE NOT IN THE AQUARIUM TRADE I CAN SELL TO YOU DIRECT. YOUR COST LESS SHIPPING IS $575. SHIPPING IS LESS THAN $40. THANKS HAL
    "

Here is the link to their product spec page. All models with 'IL' are inline.

http://www.tradewindchillers.com/specsheet/

I have not settled on this mfgr. I am simply doing some research as of now.

BTW, flow rates are GPM, not gph....

-R

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear reggie,

"...plus feeding an archival washer."

Is your tap water so hot that you can't use it to wash prints?

Neal Wydra
    True, I suppose I could wash prints at 80+ deg, I just don't want to. It's my d\r and I can do what I want<g>. I guess I'm in love with 68 deg - 72 deg, rational or not.

-R

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin