Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 956

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 enlarger lens?

What is the best lens for a 4x5 enlarger, enlarging 4x5 negs? I have heard either 135 or 150 mm. Any suggestions as to which one is most appropriate? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either one. The one with the best quality that you can afford.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have some off brand oldies collecting dust... pm me and I'll tell you what I have in the morning.... one I think is a woolensack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135 & 150mm are good choices. Many good brands to choose from. I rarely enlarge to more than 11x14 so I can get away with an old Schneider 210mm on my Beseler 45. For anything larger than that I use a Rodenstock 135mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Wollensak 135mm that is quite sharp and (IMO) is every bit as good, though slightly less contrasty than my Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm. The chief difference between them is enlargment size. I get a larger area illuminated with the 135 set at a lower column height, nearly a full 11x14 on the 8x10 setting for the 150.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you make large enlargements then the 135mm may be better. The 150mm is generally my preferred lens for 5x7 to 11x14 images as it gives me adequate space to work under the lens with dodging and burning tools. However I used a 135mm for years without issue. Now that I have both, I usually pick based on the enlargement size. Once I get to 20x24 I need to switch to the 135mm so i can reach the focus knob on the enlarger and see the grain magnifier at the same time.

My advise is to buy the best one you can find in either focal length. Top quality lenses are really cheap these days.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jono,

The Nikon 135 is very nice and usually available at an attractive price.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a El-Nikkor 135 for 4x5 and also for 6x6cm without changing it. I have another enlarger with a componon-s 80mm for 6x6 for larger 6x6 enlargements.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin