Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,360   Online: 759

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Blackout cloth for d\r

Hi:

Has anyone used a high quality blackout cloth for a d\r? I had some material that I purchased many years ago from Porters. It was great stuff, totally black, even with the brightest sunlight coming directly into a d\r window. Unofrtunately, my supply has run out and I need a replacement. Any reccomendations? Has anyone used this stuff:

http://www.blackoutez.com/index.php?...40f0288a45018b

If you use this stuff, do you secure it with hook and loop (velcro)? Is it light tight at this seal? I am finicky, so I want TOTAL blackness.

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a length of normal blackout cloth of the type you would use to line curtains years ago from my local cloth shop. It was very cheap at only a few pounds per metre. It is fairly light and works perfectly. I secure it using Velcro which is expensive but gives a very convenient light-tight seal. Theatrical drapers can supply heavyweight blackout fabric (usually Molton or Serge) which is also fire retardant if this is an issue for you but the price is quite a lot more - probably £15-20 per metre. It is also a lot heavier so more difficult to hang but will drape (trail) better.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A few layers of black plastic from a farm store is inexpensive and works. One way of mounting it is with battens nailed to the wall with tiny nails. For sealing windows, a frame with felt or foam padding around the edges and covered with the plastic should work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black commando cloth. About $7.00 per yard. Cheaper if you buy the bolt.

If complete opacity isn't necessary, Duvetyne is a little cheaper and it has a nicer hand.

BMI Theater supply in New York City has it all.
    http://www.bmisupply.com/index.htm
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recently bought a door-height curtain from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It is hung on a curtain rod + rings over my darkroom door. It serves very well to block light coming from between the door and the jamb.

The fabric is black and heavy, and is marketed as being light proof and thermal insulating. It was ready made, and inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mine is energy efficient and DARk... cut a piece of insulating foam from the home store 2 or 3 inch thick stuff, to the size of the window.(works well if you have a deep recess, if not it will not work. Cover the "plug" with black plastic... presto.. keeps not only light out but the noise out and cuts down on heat and a/c,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's exactly how I covered the window in my basement darkroom.
    A 2 inch piece of blue "Insul-Board" wrapped in black Duvetyne. The gaps around the edges were plugged with rolled up scraps of Duvetyne, tucked in with a putty knife.

Ain't no light gettin' in there!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cut mine so tight and perfect no need to stuff anything... also keeps the burglers from nosing about... it's the ally side of my bld.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin