Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 862

Shooter
    35mm RF

Darkroom Voltage

I live in Singapore and our power supply here is 220V.

If I were to get a timer from eBay, say a Gralab 500 which is rated for 110V, would it work with my enlargers?

The enlargers in question are a Meopta Opemus 6 Color and a Durst M370 Color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Timers use the frequency for measuring clock speed. US uses 110v/60hz. I believe Singapore is 230v/50hz. Therefore, a US clock (connected via a step down transformer) would run a little faster in Singapore. However, since all that matters for exposure in an enlarger is consistency this should not be a problem.
    An easier way to go about it would be to buy a timer from eBay - UK.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Images
    If you are going to use US equipment with 220VAC, I'd suggest you get a converter. If you already have most of your darkroom equipment, just get a big one and run everything from one converter. Even if you could plug a 110VAC item into your 220VAC outlet, something would burn up: fuse, snubber, transistor, transformer, etc. If it doesn't do it right away, it will eventually. Not a good thing. Your other choice is to buy 220VAC equipment. Maybe get a converter for the things you already have and if you buy new things, get them locally and use 220VAC.

Images
    Not all timers use the line frequency (50 or 60 Hz) as the time base. Timers that do would be analog type with clock motors or cheap digital clocks. If the timer has a microprocessor in it, then the micro probably has a crystal for a time base. This means that the timer will work without regard to the input voltage frequency.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The short answer is NO. Connecting a 110VAC device to your 220VAC will cause damage. Using a converter ("step down transformer") won't work, because then you would be feeding 110VAC to the enlargers as well (unless you A- step the voltage back up or B- the enlargers need 110VAC). Remember than when you cut the voltage in half, the current will double - you might exceed the ratings on the timer. You'll be much better off with a timer designed for 220VAC than stringing together converters. The Gralab 500 is a digital timer, so the line frequency is irrelevent for timing. It is important depending on the power suppy design inside the timer, but this timer is rated for 50/60Hz.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave and Loose Gravel are right, freq will not matter for a digital timer. I stand corrected.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy from the UK Ebay site, or Europe as our equipment if 50hz 220 - 240 volts

link: www.ebay.co.uk

But in reality timers are being skipped as pro-labs go digital, I know a man to ask . . . . he has at least 5 5"x4" enlargers, lenses, timers etc just lying ripped out and no home to go to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant

link: www.ebay.co.uk

But in reality timers are being skipped as pro-labs go digital, I know a man to ask . . . . he has at least 5 5"x4" enlargers, lenses, timers etc just lying ripped out and no home to go to.
    Then he should put them on eBay where 5 x 4 enlargers are selling well; unlike 35mm.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Then he should put them on eBay where 5 x 4 enlargers are selling well; unlike 35mm.
    He might except it takes too long compared to the orders he's taking for digital camera's on his online store

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks guys! I'll probably follow Ian's advice and go for eBay UK. I can buy a timer here, but there is pretty much only one model on the market and it doesn't look very sturdy. Expensive too.

Ian, would your friend be interested in selling his timer?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin