Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,591   Online: 1171

Shooter
    Medium Format

Questions about BW dev and ruined photos.

Last night I ran my first rolls of Neopan Across (in xtol), and while the process took a little to get used to, it worked just fine..However, I had aproblem that Im not sure what caused it.

On each roll (including a 3rd roll of HP5) several photos were ruined by what I THINK is unspent developer. What it looks like is a pink substance burned or stained into the negative. Its pink redish and is oblonged (if thats a word). I know I had some difficulity getting the negative around the reel (120) so maybe the negative was crimped and caused something to get trapped...
    Can someone give me an idea as to what this? I had it happen on all 3 rolls...

Note: Im using metal 2 roll tanks and metal reels (from adorama) and all the other pics turned out perfectly developed)

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear bibowj,

It sounds as though the film wasn't quite seated on the reel at one point. The non-emulsion side of one wrap was probably touching the emulsion side of the next wrap. The images themselves are not salvageable, but you can remove the stain by re-fixing (washing etc.).

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am inclined to agree with Neal. My suggestion is to waste a roll of film and practice rolling it on the reel. You can close your eyes to simulate being in a darkroom. Cut the corners on the beginning of the roll of film and LIGHTLY squeeze to curl the film when starting it on the reel. Roll the reel on a flat surface by holding the edges of the film and pushing. The film will roll itself on to the reel.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

X. Phot.
    As previously mentioned, if you have sections of the negative that have not been cleared by fixing, simply refix that negative until it has cleared. There is the possibility that developer was able to act on that section of the negative, where the fixer couldn't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin