Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,331   Online: 920

Shooter
    Large Format

Single Tray Print Processing

Almost have all the bits to the bathroom darkroom. Just need to spend more money...
    Anyway, given space constraints and my lack of desire to build a sink that fits in the bathtub (and the wife's admonition that it be kept available for human use) I'm going the single tray processing route as that seems easiest and the least trouble to set up and take down. Was just wondering if anyone else had any experience doing this and had some useful advice on what works best or what to avoid.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you considered a tray ladder (do a search at bhphoto.com on "tray ladder" and you'll see a few examples)? I could imagine doing the single-tray thing occasionally for big prints, but as a regular process, I think it would be a real pain. Three trays take longer to set up, but are much quicker to work with, and will give you greater productivity per session.

I work out of a dark/bathroom, and you'll discover efficiencies along the way that will allow you to speed up the setup/breakdown time. I also recommend a changing bag for loading film in daylight tanks to give you some more flexibility and less need to work around the family's bathroom schedule.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, I've thought about it. Am still thinking about it. I already have a film tent though for when I am in the field (I shoot 4x5).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you have a full size bathtub you could cut a piece of plywood to fit over most of the tub leaving some room at the end so you could place the fixed prints into the water below sort of a large holding tank. You should be able to fit,depending on tray size at least 4 or so trays on top. I would think only using one tray constantly pouring chemicals in and out and rinsing would not only be a PITA but also messy spilling chemicals all over the place (in semi-darkness).
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foraker
    I already have a film tent though for when I am in the field (I shoot 4x5).
    Thought field tents went out of fashion just after the Boer war, with the advent of silver-gelatin dry plates.

Don't ever go to Wales, the local photographers will say in your passing "Another Roger Fenton" in their droll way :-)
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-20-2004 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, mine isn't that dark. I have an LED safelight and it's quite bright even though it's only a few watts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I built a cart, on wheels, with 4 shelves that can handle 16X20 trays with each shelve able to extend out as in ladder effect. When ready to do printing, I just pull it up next to utility sink in garage. Could work similiarily in bathroom.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin