Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,105   Online: 1199

Shooter
    35mm

B/W development drum for both, 35mm and 4x5

Hi all,

after about 3o years I am back in the analogue business

As I have currently no clue which equipment would be the right one for B/W film development, you can probabliy give me some advice.

I am looking for a drum which is usable for both, 35mm and 4x5 film. I'd like to process more than one 35mm in one take, and do not need rotation.

Do you have any recommendations?

Your advice is very much appreciated
    Greetings,
    Edgar

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been trying the "Taco" method (using hair elastics to curl the 4x5 film into a semi-tube, emulsion side in) for doing 4x5's in a Paterson tank System 4 with decent results.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Images
    Good Morning, Edgar,

There are volumes of advice on this topic here on the Forum. A Search for "drum" or "tube" or "motor base" or for the brand names of equipment such as "Unicolor" or "Chromega" or "Beseler" or "Jobo" will lead you to more information and informed opinion than you can imagine.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a long thread on this in the Darkroom Equipment forum entitled "Is anybody using this" or some such name. It's on page 5 or 6 of the archive. A guy who frequents apug sells this to develop several sheets of 4x5 in a 3-reel Patterson tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...d=271745939784

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get a Jobo 2521 tank, the spiral for 35mm/120 roll film, and the 4x5 holder. You find them here on the classified ads, and more often on the big auction site...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greetings Edgar, and welcome to Apug. Your best bet is a Jobo 2521 tank with both 35/120 and 6x9/4x5 adjustable reels. One tank will handle both reels, you don't need the motor drive as you can agitate by hand.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Edgar,

A second on the Jobo tank. With the 2521 tank you can do 2 rolls of 35mm, 2 rolls of 120 (1 of 220) or 6 sheets of 4x5. With the 2551 you can go to 5 rolls of 35 and 12 sheets of 4x5. Of course you will need the corresponding reels. At one time I built a drum turner using a surplus gearmotor that turned at 75rpm. Even without reversing there was never an issue with uneven development.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all who gave me a utilizable response.

So I will go with the 2521 and probably add a 2551 later. It was not all that clear to me when I searched the web - and the forum.

Thank you!
    Greetings,
    Edgar

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin