Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,755   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Multi Format

Omega D super dichroic II negative carrier

Hello,

I have just bought an omega D enlarger with super chromega D dichroic II head.
    It came with a 4x5 neg carrier 423-363 without glass.

I do not think I can put glass in this negative carrier. Are there among you who enlarge 4x5 glassless with this enlarger or should I better lookout for a neg carrier
    with glass ?

Thanks !

Henk

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that most of us use the glassless carriers on Omega D enlargers with the Dichro II color head because it tends to keep the negatives relatively cool so that they don’t expand and belly upward and out of the plane focus due to heating as is likely with a condenser head without heat absorbing glass.

The Dichro II head has a UV/IR filter on the outside of each mixing chamber. The light passes through the dichroic filters and then through the UV/IR filter of the mixing chamber where it bounces around and finally passes through the bottom diffuser to illuminate the negative.

I’ve not had any negative popping with the Dichro II head and, therefore, don’t need a glass carrier as is sometimes necessary with a hot condenser light source.

Don’t overlook the possibility of using below the lens VC filters if you find this more practical in using variable contrast B&W papers. In this case, you’d leave the dichroic filters all set to zero.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use glassless on my D-6 Pro lab condenser head and don't have any problems with negatives popping. Even with long set-up time it doesn't pop, so my seven to fifteen second exposure times aren't even going to make it pop.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on how big you enlarge and how hot the lamp gets, frequently 4x5 can be safely enlarged with a glassless carrier. The ratio of the film thickness to the film size is favorable to hold pretty flat in the carrier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin