Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,487   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to minimize te need for washing, some hypo clearing solution would help... I guess
    Mama took my APX away.....

Is there a WASHING AGENT that does not require constant running water....guess I'll have to check into Motel 6 once a week to do laundry, film developing/contact printing, computer work...

Thanks
    Chuck

Images
    I'm certain that you can come up with a fill and dump washing method that is just as thorough and efficient as running water. Perhaps more.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford method of 5 changes of water works for me.... I give it 7 just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck (CA)
    Is there a WASHING AGENT that does not require constant running water....guess I'll have to check into Motel 6 once a week to do laundry, film developing/contact printing, computer work...

Thanks
    Chuck
    Mama took my APX away.....

Where are ALL the combat photographers when you need them I'm not that old
    Wonder how they developed their film in the field?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David Savkovic

My home page

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Where are ALL the combat photographers when you need them I'm not that old
    Wonder how they developed their film in the field?

most did not they mailed the film in to the company they worked for. Time Mag has/had a huge darkroom dept that took care of all the work after the shooting.

Some of the guys I have met talked about using the motel rooms where they stayed.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 10-22-2004 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add material

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The combat photographs in the days of yore shipped their film back to the publications lab for processing and printing. Remember the incident with Capa's film from the D-Day invasion? Today's combat photographers use d******.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I can't really see any practical need for a travelling darkroom unless you are permanently on the road. Years ago, I used to sleep in tents when traveling and camping and I shot with a 4x5. I carried a changing bag to load and unload holders. That worked okay but it did not involve the complex set of problems you will need to solve.

I have a 28 ft travel trailer I use for weekend and longer trips and I considered putting in a darkroom or, at least, taking along the film developing equipment and supplies. The problem always came down to two things, space and light. Virtually all the RV's, whether monster motorhome/buses or large fifthwheel trailers are designed for actual living within a minimum of space. Storage of items is a big problem on smaller RV's and the openness of designs on larger RV's makes for a lot of outdoor light to be let inside.

My trailer has a lot more space than your VW camper but it becomes awfully small after a week or two with myself, my wife and our dog living in it. The items we need for normal activities of daily living take up a lot of the space. My camera equipment--and I take lots of equipment when I use the trailer--takes up a lot of room. All this necessary stuff needs space for storage when not in actual use and there's just not a lot of it. After some contemplation, I decided to abandon the idea of a traveling darkroom. I can do a better job at home without the hassle. My solution was Ziplock bags. Fill them up with exposed film and wait until later to develop them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Brett Weston had a darkroom van that he used for loading his 11x14" holders and processing film. You might see if you can find any info on it.

Permawash will cut your wash times substantially, and you can use 5-7 changes of water in place of running water. I think during a water shortage Ansel Adams determined (using a residual hypo test, I'm assuming) that 7 changes was good enough for fiber based prints. The setup was 7 trays in a long sink (stacking would be the obvious way to save space), and the system involved periodically dumping tray 1, moving the others up, and filling it with fresh water and moving it to position 7.

If you wanted to try to print in a van, you could look into a slot processor.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking that a UHaul type trailer with a used Fuji/Noritsu 1hr processing lab should work out. Use the back of the vw for storage and napping while the machine does its thing. This way you can also set up a processing biz while at each locale to help cover the costs of your own developing...

Just kidding...I think...
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin