Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,725   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Foam on Patterson 8x10 Pro-Proofer deteriorating.

Is there a place where I could purchase new foam for this unit.A number of darkroom items were given to me for resale.This is one.I wouldn't put it in the classifieds they way it looks now.

Thank You

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a neoprene mouse pad, cut to fit, to replace the foam on mine. Works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Sydney I went to a shop called the Foam Booth & bought some hard cell foam. It was pretty cheap and easy to glue in. Works well. I suppose there are shops like that in most cities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think mine is a Paterson. It has an 'adjustable' hinge slot that mates with the pins on the metal part that holds the glass, that accomodates different thicknesses of material in it.
    The foam was going flaky after digging it out of storage while my darkroom was mothballed for a number of years I spent working overseas.

I replaced the foam with a piece of black rigid foamcore board cut exactly 8x10". Now I can load negs filed in plastic storage sheets by feel in absolute darkness or by very dim green safelight.
    This abiility is a must when proofing c-41 and e-6 contact sheets.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great ideas folks,thank you!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pay a visit to your local independent computer store. Ask if they have any of the soft black foam that motherboards used to be shipped with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also used black foamcore board. Works well enough.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Auto headliner material. Fabric stores such as "JoAnne's" carry it. It comes in a roll about 40" wide; you can buy a piece a foot wide and 40"-odd long for a couple of bucks and it'll do several of these. The material also works very well for lens wraps. My oldest daughter custom-made a wrap for each of my lenses a few years ago.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If all else fails, some companies still supply parts.
    http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...e=10&textOnly=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    If all else fails, some companies still supply parts.
    http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...e=10&textOnly=

Wow, the prices are incredible! I had the same problem and a local camera shop with a huge collection of used gear furnished me what amounts to a new old stock 35mm proofer. Now I can try some of the above suggestions on the old one with the crumbling foam.

I wish the prices for replacement glass lid with the masks were more reasonable. I could use a second proofer for my 120 negs. Ah, well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin