Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,482   Online: 754

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Two quick Jobo Tank questions

Okay, I know Jobo meant well with their number coding system, but for a newcomers it can be enough to do your head in...

I have a CPA-2 which came with more print drums than any sane person would consider normal, but no film developing tanks. I managed to get a stack of Jobo UniSet 2001 reels at my local (real) photography store, for so alarmingly cheap that I left in a hurry before they changed their mind, and now have the issue of finding a tank for them to go in. I don't have a lift attachment, so I also need to have the magnet base for whatever tank I end up with.

The box for the Uniset reel suggests they're for "2000" series tanks. Does this mean they fit in the 25** series tanks? I thought I should be absolutely sure before I buy a tank off eBay and find out I have a bunch of reels that don't fit in it...

I'm looking at the 25** series tanks because I also shoot 4x5" and would like to process that one day too. A lot of tanks out there come with the cog lids. Can I use the tank with the magnet base with the cog lid without a cap, or will they leak fluid or light in that configuration?

Thanks for your help, folks...these both seem like really obvious sounding questions, now I've asked them, but better safe than stupid.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The regular Jobo reel is the 2502. 1x 135-36, 2x 127, 2x120 or 1x220 roll film. They fit in every 25xx tank but the film tanks have a funel and a centre core which can be extended too. The centre core is the same as by the 1501 reel and 15xx tanks.

For connecting: e.g. 2521 tank (with magnet) or 2523 for the connection with the elevator.
    In this size tank (270ml minimum volume in rotary) you can put 2x 2502 reels.

Best regards,

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2001 reels are smaller than 250x reels, 11 vs 12.7 cm. Core size is same, so they do fit but you can only use them in upright tanks, or you have to fill the tank up to the core which really is an option with the smallest tank only. I haven't used cog lid tanks with magnet but it should work if don't use too much liquid and will be careful when removing the tank. I'd get a rubber stopper to plug into the lid.

Andres

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bother...okay, it looks like I'll need to invest in some more reels then. Thank you for your help. Would the 2001 reels fit in the more narrow 1500 tanks, or are they all but useless for rotary processing?
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 4"x5" film [ok 5"x4" in the UK], I strongly recommend the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum which takes up to 10 sheets of film. The processing is consistent, and in my not so humble opinion easier to use than the 2509N reels which have a maximum of 6 sheets per reel.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1xxx tanks are much smaller diameter, so I believe the reels won't physically fit in those tanks.

In terms of the 25xx tanks; see above and make sure you have a centre core of the correct length for your tank(s), it's necessary for light-tightness and for preventing the reels from spinning within the tanks. And you will need the "funnel" lid insert (it connects the centre core to the lid of the tank) instead of the "cup" insert that's used for prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, for sheet film the Expert drums are the best but expensive. The 2509N reel tends more quickly to uneven development, so is the 15XX serie in rotary development.

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin