Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,463   Online: 901

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    IKEA - yuk.....
    Actually, the blinds are just fine. I did a temporary fit and they work perfectly according to their design. (I heard of them here: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-75880.html ). My use of the term El-Cheapo was perhaps inappropriate and ill-advised. What I meant was that I am trying to use a simple and inexpensive alternative in an application that probably requires a better thought-out solution. I have yet to decide exactly how I will do the permanent installation. Side channels, though perfect for windows, are not acceptable in my case, since the blinds are covering an open door-way.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    What I meant was that I am trying to use a simple and inexpensive alternative in an application that probably requires a better thought-out solution. I have yet to decide exactly how I will do the permanent installation. Side channels, though perfect for windows, are not acceptable in my case, since the blinds are covering an open door-way.
    Better thought out? That's code for SU (spousal unit) approval

I've added super magnets from Lee Valley to my bag of tricks since my cottage has had 2 overhead prop. fans hanging off 3 small magnets for years now.
    -mount several magnet buttons in jamb or casing, add ferrous (and light seal material for the crack) to side channels and snap in place before use.
    -saw kerf on outboard edge of casing would make a nice light trap groove to slide in continuous strip of broken metal attached to side channels to the casing face with magnets.
    -route back of casing thinner & slip ferrous into space. magnets to temp channel, etc.
    -find Schlegel pile http://www.schlegel.com/assets/files...tio%20door.pdf from someone that repairs/mfgrs residential aluminum storm doors, the stuff for the removable screen/window would be great for the removable side channel light seal

-I used to use Newco in Winnipeg a lot for all kinds of weather sealing, they've got a really wide range of products. some might work well for removable temp. installation with magnets.

http://www.weatherstripping.ca

Hope that sparks some ideas.

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Try this:-

http://www.richards.uk.com/decora.htm

I have 2 of these which work well.
    I also have this blind and fully endorse the poster's comment on them

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    Hello,

Which product did you choose from SeeSawUSA?
    I believe they offer products from different manufactures. The salespeople seemed very knowledgable and helped select an appropriate top cassette, fascia, side panels, curtain material and lift mechanism the right caliber for the large double door I'm covering.

The best thing about SeeSawUSA was that they treated me as the contractor.

The other USA company that I contacted would NOT sell me anything. They directed me to some localyocal window shade store. It was called "Bob's Windows" or something like and had no website, just a phone number. They said the local contractor would have to come to my home and measure and special order it for me, then it would be shipped to the contractor, not to me. I wouldn't deal with any kind of scam like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the door I'm covering. I'm making this part of the basement into a personal office, that is in continuity with the darkroom. Thus the need for a blackout shade for the door. My desk will be right by the door, so I want to still be able to look outside and use the door when I'm not printing or loading film-holders. I did not put drywall in the darkroom, because I didn't want to cover any of the wiring and plumbing, in case I need to modify or service anything.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by neelin View Post
    Better thought out? That's code for SU (spousal unit) approval ...

http://www.weatherstripping.ca

Hope that sparks some ideas.

Robert
    Hello Robert,

Just so, SUA! Thanks, I need my logic circuits reset from time to time. The doorway has drywalled jambs, corner-bead, etc, but a magnetic solution is quite feasible. There is a sign-making business here that has magnetic strip and (some) ferrous metal although they use mostly aluminium-type material. My son has some of those Lee Valley magnets - very strong. At any rate, I'm sure a good light seal and easy install/remove is possible. I'll give Newco a call, which brings back memories. I had a car stolen from a lot just down the street from them in 1991. It had just had major repair work done on it at Rudy's Auto. The car was left on the lot across the street overnight. The next morning, when I went to pick up my car it was gone. Rudy and I were staring across the street, wondering what had happened, when a tow truck went by with the remains of my car attached. The joy-riders had smashed the ignition lock, hot wired it, side-swiped a whole row of cars on another street, and left the wreck on the railway tracks. The driver of the switching engine radioed the police, because the car was blocking his way. Needless to say my Autopac settlement was less than satisfactory.

p.s. Robert, I finally got around to trying the Scopix - very nice. I'll email or PM you tomorrow and fill you in on what I've been doing the last couple of years.

Hello ice-racer,

Please pardon my sort of hi-jacking your thread, but Robert is my first cousin once removed (I am not making this up).

Thank you for posting your info and photos. I have a window that could use a black-out blind like the one you are installing on your patio door, so this is quite helpful, although more SU negotiation may be required.

Hello cliveh,

I had a look at the Richards of Hull site. They have some very interesting equipment. I fear the shipping would be a killer to North America, but I always like to see what is out there.

Thanks and Cheers All,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thread update. I have received word the blackout blinds will arrive shortly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Installed the blinds this last weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the PDF for the product I used: http://www.polarshade.com/images/pdf...eSystemRDA.pdf

It says "for room darkening applications" and that can mean many things. As it came, the top cassette was not light tight at all. It required extensive modifications to be light tight. In the end it worked out OK seeing as it was the only product that was available to me in the USA. After spending quite a few hours sealing all the little cracks (not much different from sealing up light leaks a monster enlarger head) it is now totally light tight.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Decora Blind is in fact the company that richards.uk use to make them. You supply the measurements to Richards according to diagrams on its website, pay Richards and the blinds arrive from N Ireland. Dealing with Richards was easy and problem free

Mine were well packed, well made and relatively easy to fit but you might need a second pair of hands for the top channel.

It was money well spent. Dealing direct with Decora might be cheaper but I wasn't aware that Decora is set up to deal with the general public.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin