Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,653   Online: 814

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Blackout Blinds: Casstyle vs Shy Zipscreen vs Hunter Douglas

I'm finally getting serious about putting a roller-style blackout blind over a large window adjacent to my darkroom. I found three devices that look like they would work. The difficulty now will be trying to purchase it. Like many things on the internet, a pretty picture and or a PDF brochure can be a far cry from actually obtaining the product. Even with cash at hand. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products, or know of another product?

Shy.co.uk
    Farnboorough Blinds UK
    Decora Blind Systems UK
    Hunter Douglas USA
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-15-2011 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shy.co.uk
    This UK based company makes a nice roller blind with a 'zipper' on the edges of the blind. The zipper fits in a track that fits in a metal channel which slides up and down the sides. This looks like the best one out there. I'm waiting to hear from them to see if they ship to the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Farnborough Blind Co. UK

Again this looks like an excellent solution. They handle the Casstyle brand of shade. However, it is also UK based. I'm waiting to hear from them about USA shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Decora Blind Systems UK

Similar to the others and likewise, waiting to hear about USA shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last on the list is the USA based Hunter Douglas. Although USA based, they are the most difficult to obtain any information from.

For example in the link above, the picture does not show a proper blackout blind. However, by scanning the link to their PDF file on the RB500 system, I located a mechanical drawing of a proper blind system, the RB500 5-51. However, there is no other mention of that product on the website, so it is a mystery if it is actually available.

I have an e-mail out to them, not asking if they ship to the USA, but to see if the products are actually available for purchase. There is no ordering or purchase information on the site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi ic-racer,

In addition to my curtains, my windows are blocked out with removable plywood. I nailed up a furring strip above the wall window and set an aluminum channel below to hold a 1/4-in plywood panel. Thursday I "daylighted" my darkroom because the weather was nice and I needed the cheer. This morning I put the panels back and loaded some film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Followup on this thread. I just ordered a total blackout blind system with side channels, bottom channel seal and light-tight upper cassette from www.seesawusa.com This is a USA company that was very easy to deal with and will be shipping all the components straight to me for only $40 postage.

The other companies mentioned either were not interested in selling their product or did not respond to my inquiry. Shy UK did respond with a nice quote but wanted me to arrange shipping from the UK, which I thought was strange, but maybe that is the way they do things across the lake.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello,

Which product did you choose from SeeSawUSA? I am always on the look-out for black-out systems. I have bought some El-Cheapo ones from IKEA (made in Poland, but discontinued). The product seems fine, although I have not installed them yet. They don't have the fancy side tracks, etc.

If the British supplier is not used to shipping overseas, they are probably rather reluctant to quote a shipping price, since the shipping to North America is often quite dear and wide ranging in price. I am located in Canada.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IKEA - yuk, European trrailer house furniture.

http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/page7.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Blinds

Try this:-

http://www.richards.uk.com/decora.htm

I have 2 of these which work well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin