Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford EM10

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford EM10

Hi,

just bought, but I'm not able to use it.
    Is there someone that could kindly explain me how?

Thanks for ever,
    Joseph

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have a search in the archives here, and it'll turn up some threads I think.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vaughn, that link can be confusing because of a typo under USE 3. While the instructions read "adjust the calibration knob until the green LED is lit" what they meant to say was - adjust the aperture ring on your enlarging lens until the LED is lit. The link just below those instructions EM10 EXPOSURE MONITOR TECHNICAL INFORMATION corrects that hiccup.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, Rick -- I tried to link directly to the PDF but failed -- I did not read the instructions as I have never used one of those beasties.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not sure if I'm using it correctly. Once I get a good print, I then place the probe end of EM10 on a shadow area with detail, and adjust the knob till it turns green. As long as I'm using same paper, I can determine the proper exposure setting for other negatives by adjusting aperture till light turns green.
    Last edited by doughowk; 10-27-2011 at 07:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pluto View Post
    Hi,

just bought, but I'm not able to use it.
    Is there someone that could kindly explain me how?

Thanks for ever,
    Joseph
    One way here.

To get a baseline start with a negative that you have already printed well.

Set up the timer and enlarger exactly as you would to reprint that negative; height, f stop, everything.

Measure and note the setting for a specific tone, like black. You can use other tones like skin too.

Now you have 2 of the 3 major variables defined, a baseline for print time and paper sensitivity. The aperture is the wild card.

When you switch negatives or change enlarger height you measure the same tone, say black point, with the EM10 set at the number you measured above and then adjust aperture until you get green. That new aperture at the "old" time and "old" EM10 setting should put your new print close.

It is paper specific so if you change paper you need to set a new baseline. Contrast also plays a role.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Not sure if I'm using it correctly. Once I get a good print, I then place the probe end of EM10 on a shadow area with detail, and adjust the knob till it turns green. As long as I'm using same paper, I can determine the proper exposure setting for other negatives by adjusting aperture till light turns green.
    That's correct.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Joseph,

Purchase a transmission step wedge along with a little testing of your favorite papers and you can use it to zero in quite quickly on exposure and contrast. You will still need to fine tune for anything other than a basic print, but it's quite a useful tool once you play with it.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use either a shadow area or a highlight for determining exposure; you may want to have reference knob settings for each as some images have interest in the highlights and some have their interest in the shadows.

You can use the meter to find a negative's contrast by first zeroing the lens' aperture on the shadows and then turning the EM-10 knob for the highlights. You can then use the highlight reading to determine, at a first try, a paper grade for the negative.

A step tablet can be a great help with an EM-10: printing the wedge will give you the paper's range; taking readings of each step will let you relate knob reading with the resulting grey tone on the print. You can make a rough calibration for your meter by zeroing the meter with the lens one stop down from full open and then noting the knob settings as you zero the meter as you stop the lens down. Don't start at full open - full open is always optimistic and an "f2.8" lens may actually be f3.3 when wide open.

EM-10's are not calibrated and one person's knob reading -> density chart won't necessarily work with your meter.

The Darkroom Automation meter manual may aid you in using your EM-10.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin