Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,725   Online: 982

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Newbie enlarger question!

In a bit of a hurry here and this is a real 'newbie' question!

I am currently getting set up to do all my own processing at home. I have an opportunity to buy an enlarger on ebay at a real knock down price. However I am not sure if it is a colour or bw enlarger. I am also not sure of the difference between a colour and a bw enlarger. So my question is this: As it is my intention to only produce black and white prints, can I use a colour enlarger to produce black and white prints?

Any answers within the next thirty minutes would be great! lol!

Thanks in advance!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The techies will be along shortly, but basic answers are yes you can (and many of us do) print b&w on a colour enlarger. Also another advantage is that you can dial in the filter settings for changing contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent! Thanks Tony! Right back to ebay! lol!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes you can make black and white images with a color enlarger. If it is color it is almost surely a diffusion enlarger. If it is black and white it is most likely a condenser, unless it has a special head. Post a link to it if you want some more information.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The difference is in the controls. However there's no problem using a colour enlarger for b&w - in fact it can be easer.

A colour enlarger has three dials, which control the amount of yellow, magenta and cyan light.

When doing bw on VC paper, increase the magenta to get more contrast. You can balance it with the yellow filter (increasing yellow reduces contrast).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the rapid advice folks, unfortunately I got outbid. By one flippin pound! Ah well, better luck next time!

This is what I missed out on...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't sweat it. There are so many enlargers available no on the used market that you will have no problem finding something suitable in your price range. As far as Ebay is concerned, you can find bargains if you know what you're looking for. But haste makes waste. Do your research now and don't get in a hurry with Ebay!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy There's plenty out there so better luck next time. Not heard of that make before but a quick google has one in a shop in Cambridge for £85.00. I wonder what the small wooden figure was though?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That had me curious too Tony!

Wfw, I figured that auction was a good bet as it wasn't just the enlarger for sale. I've been looking for a while now, but only at enlargers advertised as 'black and white', hence the 'can I?' question above! Thanks for the advice though, less haste is always wise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy - Given the choice I'd always opt for a colour enlarger for all the reasons already posted here. The convenience of dialing the colours as Ian said will have the same effect on B&W as using filters, without the disadvantage of having loose filters that can get scratch lying around. Also I prefer the diffused light to the harsher condensed light.

After lots of advice here on APUG I eventually went like a bull at the gate for a Meopta, although I needed to do some work on it the "tractor" technology made it easy for me to strip and rebuild over a few hours. The real advantage though is I can use it for 35mm to MF negs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin