Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,438   Online: 709

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Convert Simmon Omega D2 from baseboard to wall mount

Hi All,

I have a Simmon Omega D2 that works very well up to 12x16. I have 16x20 paper and a 16x20 easel.

Now I need more height...

Any tips for getting the D2 off the baseboard and on to the wall? I do not think it is likely I will find the correct bracket so I was thinking I would use the baseboard bracket on a wall mounted shelf in combination with stabilizing wires.

I imagine there will be some cleverness involved in getting the angle of the enlarger column correct.

Cheers,

--Irvine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my old darkroom I had the column mounted on a heavy shelf that was bolted direct into the wall studs at the height I wanted. I then used cable and turn buckles connected to the column and eye bolts in the wall studs to keep it steady. I had it set to a normal working height and rolled a table under it when doing 8x10 enlargements. Doing larger I would place a bench under the head or even just shoot onto the floor.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello Irvine,
    Some time ago I've done the same thing for my Durst Laborator 1000.
    I've written an article, in French, alas, but with a lot of pictures, and Google does a very good job at translating.
    Have a look here :
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/support...ator-1000.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wall mount brackets don't come cheap for these, but keep watch on evilbay and you may get one reasonably priced.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Irvine,

I can never remember if the old one is the D2 or the DII. If it's the newer one, an XL chassis might be the easiest way to go. You can print 20x24 on them. If you have the old one, buy the newer one but with a dichroic head. You'll love it.

Good luck with your project,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here’s the Omega part. For the D5/D6. I think that the D2 uses the same part or could easily be modified if needed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...all_Mount.html

By examining the photo, we can see that it’s simply a robust 90° bracket.

The photo shows it upside-down. The upright profile is the plate that mounts to the wall.

That wouldn’t be difficult for someone with metal working skills to fabricate as a steel or aluminum weldment.

One or more bracing ribs as shown is essential for rigidity.

If I designed one, the plate facing the wall would be longer vertically with more mounting screws to the wall for a more secure mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What format are you working with? Could one of the wide-angle lenses solve your problem?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks All! I asked Harry at Classic Enlargers, he has the top and bottom brackets as a set for $200.00 but the shipping to South Africa would not be worth it. As this is a part time hobby everything is on a tight budget so it seems I will be making stuff. I'll either get a bracket welded up or make a very sturdy shelf from a solid piece of wood.

In combination with the wall mount I will be making an adjustable shelf to drop the baseboard down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are handy with tools then guitstik's reply is the one to go with.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

X. Phot.
    If I recall, the D2 column can rotate on it's base. Though I haven't had the need, can't you rotate the column 90 or 180 degrees to allow it to hang over the edge of a table/bench. Put ballast weight on the base board to keep it secured on the table (lots and lots of books). That might give 28" plus added height if the easel is placed on the floor. It's just a theory. I can test this later this evening.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 11-03-2011 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin