Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,021   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Should I buy an enlager...?

Hi

Been shooting 35mm mostly for the past 3-4 years, moved on to medium format this autumn with a Hasselblad 503CW and a Mamiya RZ67 pro II, and I am very exited about the new and larger format.

Now, I do have a Nikon coolscan V for 35mm scanning.

I also bought an Epson V750 for medium format scanning and everything is working fine.

I have an Epson 3800, which can print b&w and print them up to A2.

Though, I saw this ad for an enlarger, a Durst M670 BW enlarger, capable for 35mm, 6*6 and 6*7 for around $440,-, trays, safe lights and a 110mm lens included (Unsure if the lens is extra, or if that is the only lens with the enlager). I also get some papers with the enlarger.

But should I?

I feel I am missing out, not putting my negatives on paper and only scanning them, I'm thinking that judging the negatives is easier/better from a proof than from a scan (which basically saves it). I am new at this, so looking at the negative per-se and deciding if it is underexposed or underdeveloped is hard etc.

Is it 50% more "photography" trough wet-printing your own photos, or should I just don't bother and be happy with what I got?
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 11-03-2011 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can print all your film sizes with the 110mm lens; it's just that you won't be able to enlarge 35mm too big without a 50-ish mm lens.

Seems like a bit high price, but I don't know that gear or that enlarger. Once you get it and set things up, if you have no darkroom experience, it would be good to have someone local help you with a few first prints and verify things are properly setup. It's not necessary, but it could be valuable.

Once you get the hang of darkroom work, a properly exposed and processed negative will print looking most normal/realistic/good with paper in the grade 2-3 range. That's what you mean by verifying your evaluation of the negative. In terms of scanning, a good negative needs a minimum of "curve work" other than setting white and dark levels, but every scene is different and evaluation is not the same as a darkroom print.

I appreciate both wet-printing and inkjet and they are different to me; I consider it an apples and oranges comparison. You now see people, who have mastered inkjet output, getting into making digital negative so they can make wet-printing output. Sorta shows that the final results are indeed different and computer isn't always the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can try wet printing, you should.

For me, it is magical, and certainly as fun as taking the photographs.

I truly believe as well that there is nothing that contributes more to the quality of what you take as being the person who prints from the resulting negative.

Personally, I find the scan and then print from the post-processed file route to be way less satisfying and way more frustrating, but I've been darkroom printing for more than 4 decades, so clearly my perspective on the issue isn't the same as yours.

The price you quote for the enlarger seems high for our second-hand market, but may be reasonable in Norway. The reference to the lens is confusing though - I'm not aware of any 110mm lens, and if there were such a lens, it would be a bit long for 6x7, and way too long for 35mm negatives.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    not for that price....

edit: If you can justify the price with the VAT and the lens is coming in the deal, then the deal is looking a bit better.

Be sure to remember you will need a bench or table to hold the enlarger and trays.
    Last edited by Jeff Searust; 11-03-2011 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sorry, there is a Rodenstock RODAGON 105mm f5.6 lens that "comes with it", so I'll have to check if that is "extra" or the only lens =)

Yes, I do have some experience, a tiny tiny bit of introductory classing in 1988 So I kind of know how to go about making a print and setting up stuff, the rest I was planning to find out trough the internet and trough books etc.

The price may be a bit high, compared to other countries, just about everything is expensive here. (I think deducting around 25% VAT, makes it more comparable to other countries like the US etc).
    I really DO want to try it out, but I am unsure about space requirements and practical stuff mostly, but I feel in my gut that I would want to try, I am not sure what I am expecting as answers either to be honest. Gut says "Gogogo", brain says "why?"
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go for it. You can get another enlarger lens later on.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a diehard wet printer. I think 75% of the fun of photography is in the dark room. Nothing beats the feeling of watching a print developing in a tray and knowing that it's all yours, nobody else could have made this. After over 45 years working in a dark room, it's still magic for me. It's time to step up and take on the most important part of "making" a photograph. Once you start printing, you will understand better how to take photos, so that making them is easier.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to see you are in Norway, and not a bit closer.

I usually acquire lonely bits of darkroom gear for a small amout to its original vaule at garage sales, estates sales and auctions I float around at and gift it away as a whole darkroom setup to get someone started.

I have moved 5 darkroom rigs out this way over the last 4 years.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get nice darkroom equipment for reasonable prices here in Norway too. I got at great Dunco enlarger for free a couple of years ago, and I just saw a Laborator 1200 go for a very good price too (on finn.no). Pay attention to finn.no and foto.no and pick up the phone immediately when you see something interesting. Also, ignore your brain for a while and go with your heart on this ;-).

Trond

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Depending on the condition of the enlarger and stuff, at least for Europe the price is within the reasonable margins.
    You might look around for Durst 609 in case You move up to 6x9 or even check into something that suits larger formats.
    The bigger Durst's sometimes show up for reasonable prices than their smaller brothers.
    Also, there is a certain magic to just contact print the larger formats, even 6x6.. so in those cases You really don't need enlarger for the medium format and up.
    You can find a contact printer with the safe light built in and all.., Photax or Paterson for ~ 10 €

IMHO, Without the wet print part, photography is more like walking with just 1 leg.
    You have the negative but You miss the wet print, scanning and printing is pretty much like walking with crutches..
    If You really need a scan, then You might be able to scan Your silver prints with the crappiest scanner and get results that the Nikon or Epson will never get out of a negative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin