Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,732   Online: 823

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

filter options for light tight vent?

ok, i have a fan sucking air out of the darkroom, and today installed a light proof vent that allows air in from the outside.. I figured it would improve the airflow and add some fresh air. What can I do to keep dust from passing through the incoming vent without impeding the airflow too much? A lightweight filter of somekind taped over the vent? thanks

Images
    There are all sorts of large (20"x20", 25"x20") furnace air filters available at hardware and home stores . It would seem that one of these would be good for your application.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would look for those filters they use in air purifiers, or even the ones they use in humidifiers. They are relatively inexpensive and allow air flow with much less pressure than a furnace filter. (air moves through them without force...or as much force)
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    does anyone place much stock in those electrostatic air filters that are essentially a metalic grid to which the dust is supposed to stick via satic electricity and periodically just be rinsed off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you check lowes or home depo they usualy have vent filters. They come 8 or so in a pack, cost about $2.00 and are sized for standard return vents. They can be a little small but I tape two together. They are very cheap and I havn't had any problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the furnace filter idea - I use it and it works well. With respect to air filters, they work, more or less, but you need to look at the sources of dust and try to reduce them.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks guys

kwmullet, my darkroom is a duststorm and I found one of these electrostatic filters on an auction site and won it yesterday. The one I got has 3 stages, a regular filter, the electrostatic tower, and a charcoal filter. I'll let you know if it works..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next you might want to find a slightly larger CFM fan to push air IN to the darkroom to create a positive pressure inside the room. Then the dust outside will stay outside unless you carry it in yourself. You would usually mount your filters on the intake of this fan.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen the air filter from a car used as an inlet filter for dust. Seemed to work well and was cheap.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin