Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,345   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to develope slighty underexposed film..

This may be a pretty simple question, but I wanted to ask anyways.

I did a (for fun) shoot of a surfer the other day, and Ive found that of the 4 rollls of b/w Ive shot, the 2 Ive developed have been underexposed. Probaly a stop. Mostly due to me metering in average, and the subject being a little back lit. I havent processed the other 2 rolls, but the first 2 Ive having a bear of a time getting a good scan out of it. Theres details in the black, but its just too mucky... so, I would like to try to salvage the other rolls if I can.

How should I process these next rolls if I want to up the exposure a little?

(the film is Across 100)

THanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would try to develop the third roll for longer time - 10 to 15 percent - using a bit higher temperature of developer. Just a bit, like 21 degree of Celsius if the first two rolls were developed in 20 degree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd just go to the directions for the film/developer you are using and use the info for a 1-stop push.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Im shooting Across 100 and souping it in xtol...

So would I read the directions for as if i shot it at 50 or 200?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use the development time for 200. That's a one-stop push.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    Use the development time for 200. That's a one-stop push.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    (+2) You should be able to make good prints with the one stop under exposure. Make some test prints at different contrasts and possibly you need to expose different parts of the image with different contrast filters as well as some burning and/or dodging might be needed .

http:www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think the OP does any darkroom printing. He will scan his negs after he has got info on how to improve on developing underexposed negs

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bibowj View Post
    This may be a pretty simple question, but I wanted to ask anyways.

I did a (for fun) shoot of a surfer the other day, and Ive found that of the 4 rollls of b/w Ive shot, the 2 Ive developed have been underexposed. Probaly a stop. Mostly due to me metering in average, and the subject being a little back lit. I havent processed the other 2 rolls, but the first 2 Ive having a bear of a time getting a good scan out of it. Theres details in the black, but its just too mucky... so, I would like to try to salvage the other rolls if I can.

How should I process these next rolls if I want to up the exposure a little?

(the film is Across 100)

THanks!

Sounds more like a 1.5-2 stop underexposure to me. IME, cameras usually meter that much off with backlit subjects on auto setting, especially with water scenes. You don't say what developer you use, but I would try D-76 stock for 10-13 minutes at 20c.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do both... I will be printing these AND scanning them. Im going to try and print as well today, and I imagine that with test prints, I can get a good print...but Ive just not been able to get a good scan out of them, no matter what I do..

I use Xtol at full strength normally..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin