Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,518   Online: 1203

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to save cash, a good way to stop accidental cross contamination. I have four 300 ml measuring cups for RA4 processing, labeled Water, Dev, Stop, Blix, for 8x10 and 11x14 drums. Another set of 600ml ones for 16x20 drums. A set of 1 liter ones for B&W film and also a set for C41 film, all labelled for specific chemicals. Plus a few unlabelled ones for general usage. And at 1 $ each, not expensive insurance either. Esp for RA4 printing where the dye residue makes every chemical almost the same bluish colour after one trip thru the drum.

Same with storage bottles, 500ml water bottles are $4.00 for a case of 35, complete with water, drink the water, remove the paper labels and you now have 35 reusable and squeezable bottles so no air is trapped above the solutions.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    For storage, I recommend brown/amber glass bottles for most chemicals. The are available dirt cheap from Photographers Formulary (among other places) and they're nice because you can buy them in conveniently standardized sizes (1L, 500ml, 250ml, 125ml etc). That makes them versatile for keeping concentrates and stock solutions since you can store developer (for example) in small bottles that hold enough for a single use - that way you don't have partially empty large bottles in which the developer will oxidize faster. Or you can start with your stock solution in a larger bottle (say 1L) and then transfer it to a smaller bottle as it is used so you always minimize the amount of air space. Easy to clean too.
    are the brown/amber bottles a must? i figure if i put them in a regular plastic bottle and store them away from light, it is the same effect. the brown/amber is to shield it from light, correct?
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterclank View Post
    are the brown/amber bottles a must? i figure if i put them in a regular plastic bottle and store them away from light, it is the same effect. the brown/amber is to shield it from light, correct?
    Correct. Although the brown/amber bottles definitely help you and others clearly identify the contents as "chemicals!" and therefore help prevent accidents, especially if others have access to your darkroom.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except they really don't need shielding from light, esp when they are stored in a darkroom. So beer is a chemical too.

If you have children or illiterate adults in the house, put a #%$%$# lock on the cabinet, don't depend on labels or breakable glass bottles. Remember the old song "Little brown jug." it had chemicals in it too.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a selection of vintage Kodak glass beakers. Two 32 oz. One 10 oz.
    I use a 50 ml. glass graduated cylinder for measuring small amounts and a 10 ml syringe for tiny amounts.

I have four Pyrex measuring cups to make and pour working solutions for developing film.

I use a selection of 1/2 gal. and 1 gal. plastic milk jugs for stock solutions. They are plentiful and basically disposable.

I use some of them (well washed) for water. I fill them from the tap then let them sit with the top open for about a week to let the chlorine evaporate. The rest are used for chemistry. I'll refill them a couple-few times until they get grungy then I throw them out. One of the water jugs will get demoted to chems. I replace the demoted water jug with a new one so I always have a supply of jugs and water.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Measuring

For mixing gallon and half gallon sizes of developers I use a half gallon and full gallon clear acrylic pitchers graduated in liters and ounces from a restaurant supply.If it’s good enough to eat from , then t is goo enough for photo chemistry .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Three glass graduated cylinders -- after finding out what acetone does to the plastic ones! But definitely for only my use, not the students -- I need them to last!

A one-gallon SS beaker and a magnetic stirrer has been working in the university darkroom for a long time. Used primarily to mix D-76 and Dektol...and HCA. Stop bath and fixers are from liquid concentrates and are mixed in the bottle. At any one time we aim to have 4 gallons of each on hand, ready to use. A mess of brown gallon bottles for everything, except for the stop bath which is in clearer plastic bottles. Big labels on the bottles, with warnings, etc.

Any toners made up are labeled with needed info, etc. The last thing I want at the end of the year is a bottle of some unlabeled brew left on our shelves!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Three glass graduated cylinders -- after finding out what acetone does to the plastic ones! But definitely for only my use, not the students -- I need them to last!

A one-gallon SS beaker and a magnetic stirrer has been working in the university darkroom for a long time. Used primarily to mix D-76 and Dektol...and HCA. Stop bath and fixers are from liquid concentrates and are mixed in the bottle. At any one time we aim to have 4 gallons of each on hand, ready to use. A mess of brown gallon bottles for everything, except for the stop bath which is in clearer plastic bottles. Big labels on the bottles, with warnings, etc.

Any toners made up are labeled with needed info, etc. The last thing I want at the end of the year is a bottle of some unlabeled brew left on our shelves!

Vaughn
    I agree with labeling containers. especially since some of them have very similar colors...
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin