Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,778   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Measuring Devices

What do people use for measuring and storing chemicals? Im curious.

i use distilled water to mix all my chemicals from gallon jugs. i use the empty jugs to store the chemicals.

i found that the Nalgene Economy Graduated Cylinders are pretty inexpensive and accurate over the range i need them...

what about everyone else?
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I'm cheap, so I use the Chefmate 600mL measuring cups I bought at some discount store. $2 each, they seem to work well as I just have a small hand tank. I have 4 of them for Developer, Stop, Fixer, and Hypo Clearing marked on the side with a permanent marker. I also have a 60cc. syringe I bought at All Electronics.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess I never thought about using the syringe. Most of the volumes are pretty manageable, perhaps I might look in to that...
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two glass graduated cylinders and a whole bunch of $ store clear plastic kitchen measuring cups in various sizes, all checked with the lab cylinders and new markings applied if needed.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Excellent. Recallibration!
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A whole bunch of mismatched graduated cylinders - most from kitchen supply or Dollar stores, but a few that are designed for photographic purposes - including a 45 ml Patterson graduated cylinder that I use for small quantities of things like HC110 concentrate.

I have at least one Kodak graduated cylinder (a glass one!) that is probably nearly as old as I am, but I don't actually use it, because it is glass.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Graduated cylinders from AP and Paterson.
    Cheap 10ml plastic syringes bought at the chemist's.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought 6 matching 1L measuring cups for $1 each at the dollar store. I use childrens medicine syringes from the local pharmacy, couple of bucks each, I have two dedicateed to Pyrocat-HD, one for Rodinal. I have a large assortment of 8oz, 1L, and 2L plastic bottles, the 8oz for storing D-76, the larger sizes for storing stock solutions and working solutions of other chems.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    common theme seems to be to take this opportunity to save cash on a darkroom setup on measuring devices. kind of why i was curious about this.
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For storage, I recommend brown/amber glass bottles for most chemicals. The are available dirt cheap from Photographers Formulary (among other places) and they're nice because you can buy them in conveniently standardized sizes (1L, 500ml, 250ml, 125ml etc). That makes them versatile for keeping concentrates and stock solutions since you can store developer (for example) in small bottles that hold enough for a single use - that way you don't have partially empty large bottles in which the developer will oxidize faster. Or you can start with your stock solution in a larger bottle (say 1L) and then transfer it to a smaller bottle as it is used so you always minimize the amount of air space. Easy to clean too.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 11-12-2011 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin