Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,653   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

NOVA "SPRHC1" - What is it?

Hi there!

On Friday I bought a "NOVA Deleloping machine" on a local marketplace in the internet. I was pretty cheap (100€ incl. shipping) and darkroom lamp and a thermometer was also included. Now, this huge machine is standing in my darkroom, but ONLY the machine, so with no floating lids etc. When I search for the model no. (SPRHC 1) I just find some old ebay entries where someone sells a "washing tank". Did I buy a WASHING MACHINE?! It has a four slots and a temperature control from 20-45 C (too accurate for a print washer, isn't it?)

So, what is this machine?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe someone at http://www.novadarkroom.com can help you out with what it is? A photo of the contraption would probably help in indentification.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    No, on the NOVA website I don't find anything... It's probably an old model. Here are some pictures...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nova1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	41577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nova2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	41578

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks similar to the Trimate, tho I'm not familiar with the controls in that position, probably very old model. Floating lids may be made by cutting lengths of 3/4"dia. PVC water pipe, Nova charges far too much for new ones.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aha, when you wrote "huge" I thought it was room-sized! Drop the people at Nova an email and they probably can sort out exactly which model it is.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear youngfilm,

Your processor is very much like the current Trimate, but it was designed for printing color as well. The heaters are to bring the chemicals up to the level specified by the process. Essentially, you have purchased heated vertical developing trays. It can certainly be used to process b&w RC paper with or without temperature control. The heater might be handy in a cold darkroom.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a Nova quad processor, the last slot can be set up as a washing slot, using the small spigot for incoming water, and the larger one at the back for the outflow. I have mine set up for two-bath fixing, that is, I have fixer in the last two slots, then pull the fixed print out and into a separate holding tray.
    As I recall, these were originally sold for color work, so the final wash would be short. For B&W, and especially fiber papers, using the last slot for washing isn't very practical, so I use it for the second fix bath. If you don't use 2 bath fix, just put water there, but you'd probably want to wash prints in a separate washer or tray.

The two holes on top are for filling the water bath, on the side under them should be two rubber plugs, you fill the water bath until the water gets to the level of those holes then insert the plugs. Do not operate the heater without water in the bath.

Your unit (like mine) has Nova's older style heater. They have an upgrade kit with a different style heater that has just one green block, as I recall. I leave mine near the minimum heat setting to maintain 68F/20C which is nice in the winter when the room temperatures are a bit lower than that.

Nova's web site has replacements for the spigot tubes, valves and the short rubber hoses. The glued-in tubes that are under the rubber become brittle after a while from the chemistry and need to be drilled out and replaced. I've had to do do this with two of mine so far. Just be careful to not stress the tubes if you move the unit around.

The also have an outlet kit for the large outlet in the last slot if you want to use it for a wash.

Your pictures don't show them, but it should have come with clips that hold the paper in the slots. If it didn't you'll need to buy some from Nova, or else cobble up substitutes. It would be difficult to work with without them. The clips are available on Nova's website.

I really like mine, and it saves a ton of room over 4 equivalently sized trays. I keep mine plugged in an on all the time, so to start a printing session I just remove the floating lids and turn off the lights. Most developers will last a good while in in the slots. Depending on how much printing I do, I've gone as much as three weeks between developer change-outs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "No, on the NOVA website I don't find anything... It's probably an old model. "

You have to go in the back door.

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/615/Nova_Quad.html
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by youngfilm View Post
    No, on the NOVA website I don't find anything... It's probably an old model. Here are some pictures...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nova1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	41577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nova2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	41578
    The Nova vertical slot processor is great.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is fully operational and takes 10x8 prints it is very good value at $100. If it is 12 x16 then it is exceptional value by U.K. standards.

There really isn't much to know about it. It is simply 4 trays on their sides. Just make sure that the water jackets are kept full, the tubes are kept on the slots when not in use( get some tubes if none came with the processor, set the temp for B&W or RA4, fill the slots with chemicals and GO!

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin