Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,553   Online: 1044

Shooter
    Medium Format

Omega Super Chromega 760 XL Dichroic Enlarger

For my first enlarger, I picked up a Omega Super Chromega 760 XL Dichroic Enlarger. I will be printing from 6x6 mf b&w negatives.
    I haven't developed and printed since 1985.

I could be wrong, but, it seems like I remember using a red filter under the enlarger lens to view and focus the image on the paper before removing the red filter and exposing the paper. This enlarger doesn't have a red filter under the lens but it does have a magenta Dichroic adjustment dial. Can I use this magenta dial without improperly exposing the paper?

I'm sure from this post that you guys can tell I don't know what I'm doing. Anyone care to share some basic info to get me started without wasting too much paper and chemicals?

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, magenta does not have enough cut. I presume in this day you will be using VC paper. All magenta gives a very contrasty exposure.

My usual is to leave all filters out, compose, focus, and make an estimation of exposure in terms of time and aperture.

Then I dial in filtration to suit the planned contrast desired, and print the first test print.

Red filters are most useful to me wehn settign up to do a burn, to make sure I have the dodging card/tool/contorted hand and arm in the right place at the start of the second exposure to hold back light from the area I am wanting to lay extra light on.

I find that the red filter is handiest in this manner when your timer can also be actuated by a foot switch; otherwise I am left 'one arm short for the task at hand'.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should compose and focus on a sheet of paper thats similar in thickness to the paper you plan to print with. Often times I use the back of a trashed print. It helps a bit when using a grain focuser as well.

Some people also use gridded graphing paper to help with alignment of objects and horizons on the paper too. Make your own by printing them on the computer to whatever size you want, or buy them.

I have the same enlarger just with the BW head, but with the same XL column. If you do want that red filter BH carries it, but I must say its quite over priced.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilter_for.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks newt.

I just ordered some paper and chemicals and hope to have some prints soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin