Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,279   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Threshold for camera lens in an enlarger?

I have a 50mm Componon-S lens on my enlarger. My darkroom is nearing completion and I'll have the ability to project to the opposite wall. Is there an enlargement factor at which the Componon's abilities begin to fail and, could I then use instead a micro-nikkor (which I have) to better results?

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I think 8x10 is the limit of a 35mm negative, after which it starts getting too grainy for my liking.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Personally, I think 8x10 is the limit of a 35mm negative, after which it starts getting too grainy for my liking.
    I recall my experiences with Kodak 2475 Recording Film, in which case you might re-state your limit at 2"x3"

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact prints with that stuff are grainy.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a hunch that the negative will hit its limit before the lens hits its.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A hunch, surely you jest Bethe.

He should be able to get a nice 30x40" image of sharp TriX grain if his enlarger is properly aligned.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post

He should be able to get a nice 30x40" image of sharp TriX grain if his enlarger is properly aligned.
    I have this lens. Though I don't try to make anything larger than 11x14 with 35mm. I also have the 80mm Componon S and I've been happy with it. I do much more enlarging of medium format than 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Componon in 50 and 105, and Componon-S's in 50 and 80mm, they are all really nice.
    I just had the 50-S in my 4x5 Durst and ran it to the top of the column to see how well it worked. Great, except is sure shows the limits of 35mm 400 speed film.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post

Actually, about 31x is my vertical limit with a 50mm lens (semi-low basement ceiling, with the enlarger head up into a joist bay and the work surface almost on the floor). I'm interested in enlarging small portions of small negatives and want as much in my favor as possible. Sure, this is not a 60x40 of "Moonrise" from 8x10, but at times I want the grain to be a major part of the image, not just something the viewer is asked to ignore or "appreciate".

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can read all about Componon lenses here, https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...y.aspx?CID=176
    The brochure says the Componon-S is good for 2 - 20x magnification, you can find info on all their other lenses as well, along with GULP, suggested retail new prices . . . . .
    Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin