Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,264   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Making a 20x24 4-blade easel...

I have always held the contention that when making something, you should get raw materials that are as close to the intended size and shape as you can. This makes fabrication and construction easier. In this case I found a collection of parts that were already in the rough shape of a 4-blade easel:
    Last edited by ic-racer; 11-19-2011 at 08:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More pictures of the 'raw materials':

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few more pictures showing gummed up rollers and a very bent stay-arm:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be thinking that looks like a complete easel, but the point is that I read so many threads about people wanting to build this-that-or-the-other-thing from scratch, when some repairs and minor fabrication to junk equipment of the type wanted can be much easier than scratch-building. Especially with respect to view cameras, tripods and enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, I disassembled the easel for a complete overhaul and rebuild.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The metal tabs on the edges of the board that keep the frame up off the baseboard were missing, causing the blades to rest directly on the baseboard. I fabricated a new one from a bracket. The pictures show the one original in silver and the one I made in black:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bottom of the easel is particle board covered with a vinyl/aluminum cover. This was coming loose at the corners. I tried gluing it but that did not hold. I used some flat-head screws to hold it down:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The rollers were soaked in Naptha, then painted and re-greased with white grease. The blades were cleaned, sanded and re-painted. My local hardware store still carries SAE hardware and all the rusty screws, bolts and washers were replaced:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here it is after all the work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great job! Not just easier than starting from scratch, but cheaper. You can usuallly get the raw materials for free or super cheap. You are on the same bent as me, I love to refurbish the salvable..
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin