Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,177   Online: 869

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question about Durst L1200 + CLS 501 filter illumination light

After so long, I've managed to get my enlarger set up. Other than replacing the halogen bulb, everything seems to work fine. However, I can seem to read the filter settings at all. The illumination is very dim. Is there a bulb that I need to replace for me to be able to comfortably read the filter settings on my CLS head? I can't seem to read that in the manual. I know it's a separate bulb as the filter illuminates, albeit very dimly, even without the halogen lamp.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The dial illumination is fairly dim on both the L1200 heads I have - It may be possible to replace the bulb with a brighter one, but I have not found it a real problem. If I need more illumination, I have a small torch to hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hehe that's what I use, a small torchlight with red gel as filter Thanks, I just want some confirmation about that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe they make the dial illuminations dim on purpose because color printing needs to be done in the dark. There may actually be some filtration over the bulbs also. I did replace the olive filters (like a cross between Kodak 11 and 3) filters (safe for color negative and b&w paper) over the bulbs on my Durst CLS dials with red, since I only do B&W. I think the red is brighter than the original.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the information, it sure is helpful. Please bear with me, as I'm very new with the enlarger.

May I know for those with CLS 501 head, what's the average time I can expect for 8x10 sized print (ilford MGIV RC) from normal 6x6 negative (N, based on film testing), printed at Grade 2.5. I just replaced the bulb with a new Philips one, but I'm getting exposure time of more than 60 secs for a good print. I'm using 6x9 femobox, with 100mm componon-s lens. For the grade setting I'm using dual settings on Ralph Lambrecht's web site.

Also I'm noticing that even when I use the "filter out" switch, I can see the light is not totally 'white', different when I'm setting all the filter settings at zero. Just need to know if this is normal.

Again my apology, if these are 'elementary' questions, as I have search for answers but unable to find them.

Mansur
    Last edited by chioque; 11-26-2011 at 04:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have the manual? Are you sure the "Supplementary 45Y +45M Filter" is not in place. This is controlled by lever #86 in the manual. This is a RED filter that will just make B&W printing slower than it should be. It can be used as extra neutral density if the printing times are too fast.

If you don't have the manual there is one here: http://www.125px.com/docs/manuals/da...rator_1200.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eureka! I think you've nailed where my mistake was. I do have the hardcopy manual for the enlarger but didn't notice this. I'm, however, out of town over the weekend but will report when I get back how it goes. Thanks again for being most helpful.

Mansur
    Last edited by chioque; 11-26-2011 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin