Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 777

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by langedp View Post
    I built sinks like this a few years ago and they work great. I did cut dadoes for the sides to set into and then glued and screwed everything together. Each sink section is 8' long.
    Regarding the 2x4 legs for the stand, it looks like they are not touching the floor, are those leveling pegs of some type?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Definitely consider the sit option. I built my sink cabinets so that the sink overhangs them by 10 to 12 inches and the height is such that I can stand at the sink or sit in an office type chair adjusted towards it's max height. This was all based on a friends darkroom which I have used a lot. In a typical printing session I alternate between sitting and standing. Otherwise things start to hurt, which is a result of being a beat up 51 year old carpenter, bicyclist, base jumper, skydiver, and occasional car crasher. I can also sit or stand at the enlarger and with the office chair roll between the two if desired. Right now my darkroom is in storage otherwise I'd post pictures.

Of course if you are young and healthy then standing should be no problem.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, it is a lot easier to buy a stool that lets you sit comfortably at a height that works well with sinks designed for working while standing up, then it is to stand and work at sinks designed for working while sitting down.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    IMHO, it is a lot easier to buy a stool that lets you sit comfortably at a height that works well with sinks designed for working while standing up, then it is to stand and work at sinks designed for working while sitting down.
    Basically the point I was trying make. The key for me is having some knee room and a chair that adjusts up high enough. The sink is at a good standing height, but not overly high. A stool would certainly be good too.

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did a practice run on drilling the hole for the drain and installing it---placed the drain in the hole, traced around the flange with a pencil, used a dremel tool to remove enough wood so that the drain flange sits flush with the sink bottom, only took a few minutes. I Just love that dremel tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drain1.jpg   drain2.jpg   drain3.jpg  
    Last edited by CPorter; 11-28-2011 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We aren't splitting atoms here... You can throw together some ply with drywall screws and seal it with marine paint. Caulk the joints and it will outlast your kids. I got tied up with the ins and outs of building a sink before tackling it, and it only made it more difficult. I am sure what you are planning on will be sufficent. With no experience I built a sailing Dory from lapstrake planking and sent her out over Tybe Island without sinking, so I am sure you can run a bit of water over a sink without causing much damage...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 26x30 View Post
    We aren't splitting atoms here.........so I am sure you can run a bit of water over a sink without causing much damage...
    Uhhh, not sure what you are driving at here, I've built the sink and caulked the joints as shown in post #8, not painted it yet though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    Uhhh, not sure what you are driving at here.
    I was just saying that I had initially planned on a super intricate building process, and was really wound up about longevity and whatnot. I had to step back and simplify things before starting, and all turned out well. What you have done looks awesome, I didn't mean for that post to sound as it did!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 26x30 View Post
    I was just saying that I had initially planned on a super intricate building process, and was really wound up about longevity and whatnot. I had to step back and simplify things before starting, and all turned out well. What you have done looks awesome, I didn't mean for that post to sound as it did!
    I see.......forum communication, sometimes its a hassle.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    Regarding the 2x4 legs for the stand, it looks like they are not touching the floor, are those leveling pegs of some type?
    Yes they are. I wanted to be able to adjust it to the variations in the floor and create the proper amount of slope to the drains. The sinks slope from the ends to the middle and from front to back. Not much, but enough to drain. I used these...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...evelers-4.aspx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin