Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,554   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Variocontrastheads and condensors?

Hi forum,

I am curious to know if there are enlargers, that can be equiped with a variocontrasthead/multigradehead and still use condensors. Or is diffused light in these heads a conditio sine qua non?

Thanks Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    Hi forum,

I am curious to know if there are enlargers, that can be equiped with a variocontrasthead/multigradehead and still use condensors. Or is diffused light in these heads a conditio sine qua non?

Thanks Jaap Jan
    You choose one or the other. Variable contrast enlargers are all diffusion to the best of my knowledge. It would seem that there could be a variable contrast head built with condensor light source...but to my knowledge no one has done so.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On the same vein, I have an old Saunder LPL 4500D - I think that is the model number, I'll take a look tonight. It has been in a box for the past 6 years, and I thought I would look to see if it is still usable after all this time to do some B&W printing. Additionally, the baseboard was stolen several years ago, that would need to be replaced.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    On the same vein, I have an old Saunder LPL 4500D - I think that is the model number, I'll take a look tonight. It has been in a box for the past 6 years, and I thought I would look to see if it is still usable after all this time to do some B&W printing. Additionally, the baseboard was stolen several years ago, that would need to be replaced.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Is this the dichroic version (color head)? If so you should have no problems printing variable contrast materials. It could be that the 4550 LPL baseboard would replace the missing one. If so they are pretty expensive...something around $450.00 is what was quoted to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no law that says a variable contrast head can't also be a condenser head. However, there does not appear to be such a thing commercially available as a production item. I am assuming that by "variocontrasthead/multigradehead" you mean something more sophisticated than a filter drawer.

I would venture to guess that with variable contrast heads as with color heads it is more economical to mix the different colors as diffuse light. A variable contrast head is, after all, just a color head with two colors instead of three. Mixing boxes have been the norm for years and everyone seems happy with the general design.

It's interesting to note that Glenn Evans (glennview) has made a variable contrast source for the Durst 138 enlarger from an Ilford 400 Multigrade head. The lamps and filters are arranged in a special fixture which replaces the standard lamp socket in the Durst. The filtered light projects upon a diffusion plate which is then projected by the condenser system. In that way it's essentially a condenser variable contrast head. The diffusion plate is about the same size as the Durst bulb, so it should mimic the original optical system pretty closely.

-Will

Hi forum,

Thanks Jaap Jan
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi forum,

Thanks Jaap Jan
    It is possible to mount nearly any head (color or multigrade) on top of the condensor drawers of a Durst Laborator 138. There is a thing called "LADANE" that mounts instead of the 45deg. mirror at the condensor head. Usually, the light comes horizontally from the bulb in the back of the head and gets directed downward through the two condensors. After removing the mirror, the head on top shines directly downward through the condensors.

It is possible to mount the Ilford 500 Multigrade head in two manners on the L138, as a diffuse head (up to 4x5") directly over the negative carrier or as a light source used with condensors instead of the mirror. I had this combination for a few years, but after finding a inexpensive CLS1000 color head I switched and never looked back.

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    The thing that does come into play with the 138S Durst and the possible conversion that has been mentioned is that as the size of the light source relative to the condensors is increased then one loses the benefits of an condensor enlarger. Condensors serve the purpose of collimating the light bundle.

The ideal conversion, I would think, would be to use a point light source or even the high wattage and low voltage halogen conversion that Durst Pro has developed and then passing this light emission through a set of dichroic filters that would be incorporated in the area of the filter drawer. Shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.

I have three of these particular enlarger and this may be an idea for a conversion of one of them.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi forum,

Thanks Jaap Jan
    Yes there are multigrade enlargers with condensors just as their are colour heads with condensors--- a multigrade head is really little more, in theory, than a colour head with a few "pre-set" positions. Due to the higher cost of condensors and the fashion of diffuse illumination they are not the mainstream but were relatively "commonplace" into the 1970s--- the Agfa colour head not only used a condensor illumination system into the diffusor (which is technically needed to mix the coloured light to get uniformity) but typically uses in conjunction with, beyond the standard condensor of the Leitz and Agfa enlargers, an additional condensor. Because of the dyes in chromogenic films there are no real benefits to condensed light but a few downsides so, beyond the cost rationalization, the move too was driven by function... but its cost and production rationalization that has, in additional to fashion, applied this to B&W heads...
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Images
    There have been some condensor models with dichroic light sources, but I cannot tell you with certainty what models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kaiser VP series of enlarges (which go from 35mm up to 6x9) have condesers and will take a multigrade head. The light is passed through an opel glass then through a double condenser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin