Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,185   Online: 796

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Obviously the reason that I'm upset is that I would really like have one. And this thread is to get myself convinced that the thing *is* worth the money."

Just buy it, it will pay for itself the first weekend you use it.

Daylight processing and NO scratches.
    There really is no other alternative for doing 4x5 C-41 or E-6 color film.
    It really is a pleasure to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    ... probably assembled by hand from laser-cut pieces ...
    Agreed - that's how the thing is made. Tooling costs should be very low, but piece price is probably a few dollars. It looks like there are 4 large(ish) and 6 small(ish) peices - $18 in pieces parts cost, plus a few minutes labor and a dollar or two for the box and insert.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like a reasonable price if you already have the Patterson 3 tank. I'm thinking of getting one to try it out. I use a Yankee Agitank now and it is a pain to load without the little guide. Maybe even a pain with the guide. Regardless, the slosher method of agitation is not precise and makes a mess even with a large tray beneath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    Just buy it, it will pay for itself the first weekend you use it.

Daylight processing and NO scratches.
    There really is no other alternative for doing 4x5 C-41 or E-6 color film.
    It really is a pleasure to use.
    Thanks phfitz, that's the sort of talk my hesitant brain needs!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...or you can go taco-style with mesh inserts into a two-35mm-reel AP tank (Patersons will not do). I was using plastic bands for my taco-style development but I saw this idea from some guy over in LFF, and it seems to work better than plastic bands, since it does not put any pressure on the film.

See the attached (crappy phone camera) photos. I got some plastic mesh (the one you use to keep the bugs out of open windows, etc), cut it down to the appropriate size and stitched it up with plain sewing thread.

First test with b/w film was a success - it takes a while to get used to the mesh inserts but after a bit of practice in the dark, it becomes easier. This system allows me to develop 4 frames of 4x5 film in a inversion tank that uses 900-1000ml of chemicals, thus making it possible to develop C-41/E-6 films with the 1lt kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-12-05 08.06.45.jpg   2011-12-05 08.07.06.jpg  
    Last edited by thicktheo; 12-06-2011 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Thanks phfitz, that's the sort of talk my hesitant brain needs!
    Or you can go to the Photo-Therm website and buy their insert.

4 Sheets instead of 6. $120 so it costs more too. It is quite a bit more secure so you can agitate more vigorously. It is an old design make for their rotary processor, but it fits a Patterson drum perfectly. Same size as the Mod.

I have the Mod, the Photo-Therm, & have tried the taco method. My default is the Photo-Therm in the rotary processor.

Obviously the taco method is cheapest and is perfectly adequate for a small volume .

But I think the Mod strikes a good balance for medium volume hand processing.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for sharing Michael. This thread and its contributors have convinced me to believe that the Silverprint device is actually fair-priced, perhaps even on the cheap side, if one ends up using it a lot.

My initial price-shock is a product of the naive psychology that plastic must equate cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Thanks for sharing Michael. This thread and its contributors have convinced me to believe that the Silverprint device is actually fair-priced, perhaps even on the cheap side, if one ends up using it a lot.

My initial price-shock is a product of the naive psychology that plastic must equate cheap.
    If you illuminate it from below with some warm white LEDs, it also becomes a bit of modern sculpture. How much sculpture can you buy for less than £10,000?

I bought one last week. Now I know that I must be very gentle with it......
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Smċ format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the mesh idea theo; that looks very clever.

Good call on the modern sculpture bit... it does look pretty cool! The mod is unpleasantly flimsy feeling...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree , good design art costs money and causes lots of efforts to the designer to learn how to do it right . Try to learn design shape harmonic analysis and it requires lots of hand calculation to create something pleases the eye , plus the ergonomics and inverse engineering of tanks.

If they were too cheap and easy to do , here is the capitalism and an competitor product , make better and sell for half of it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin