Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,821   Online: 891

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Or you can go to the Photo-Therm website and buy their insert.

4 Sheets instead of 6. $120 so it costs more too. It is quite a bit more secure so you can agitate more vigorously. It is an old design make for their rotary processor, but it fits a Patterson drum perfectly. Same size as the Mod...
    Would you please provide a link to where on the Photo-Therm Web site that insert is described and offered for $120? I just went there and attempted to find it with no luck. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Would you please provide a link to where on the Photo-Therm Web site that insert is described and offered for $120? I just went there and attempted to find it with no luck. Thanks in advance.
    Sal,

Apparently they've changed the website around, and I cannot find it now either. Here's a link to our earlier discussion a few years ago on photo.net about it, http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00RMar

Apparently I also misremembered the price I paid, as it was $130, not $120 according to my post there. As that was more recent, I would trust that post as accurate, however since it's been a couple of years I dare say the price may have change in the ensuing period, so check with serve@phototherm.com for current price and availability.

As noted in the old photo.net posting I had not tried it in a Patterson tank at that time. I can now say for sure that it does work in a Patterson tank just fine. And frankly it is less finicky than the mod processor since it holds the film much more securely. But as Sal has noted, availability might be an issue. If Phototherm has depleted their stock of the holders I seriously doubt Roman has been willing to make another production run. It's not economically feasible at low volume. When he offered to rent the molds to me I couldn't see making fewer than 2K parts to get a selling price that felt like the market would bear, and I didn't feel like I could ever sell 2K units.

MB
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 12-06-2011 at 12:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Sal,

Apparently they've changed the website around, and I cannot find it now either. Here's a link to our earlier discussion a few years ago on photo.net about it, http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00RMar

Apparently I also misremembered the price I paid, as it was $130, not $120 according to my post there. As that was more recent, I would trust that post as accurate, however since it's been a couple of years I dare say the price may have change in the ensuing period, so check with serve@phototherm.com for current price and availability.

As noted in the old photo.net posting I had not tried it in a Patterson tank at that time. I can now say for sure that it does work in a Patterson tank just fine. And frankly it is less finicky than the mod processor since it holds the film much more securely. But as Sal has noted, availability might be an issue...
    Michael, thanks for your reply, including the link and updated Paterson compatibility information. After our exchange three years ago, life got in the way and I never followed up. Then, within the last year, I bought one of Morgan's inserts, but found that, no matter how gentle the agitation, some sheets are not held in place. Even when they don't come loose, scratches are made on the base side where it contacts the insert's "fingers."

I just ordered a Phototherm 4x5 adapter to try out. They still had stock (at least the one I ordered ) of part number AF-4X5 and the price remains at $130 plus shipping. Not inexpensive, but probably worthwhile if it performs as hoped. I've had a hankering to develop some FP4 Plus in ID-11 1+3, which requires 1 liter of working solution per 80 square inches. Should the four 4x5 sheets look good in this system when I complete some tests, there will likely be a MOD insert available to anyone who wants it for a good price...
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 12-07-2011 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sal,

It's interesting that you're having troubles with the MOD. I've been successful with very slow inversions, like 3 in 6 seconds (at best).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Sal,

It's interesting that you're having troubles with the MOD. I've been successful with very slow inversions, like 3 in 6 seconds (at best).
    I even tried it with "slow-motion" inversions, fewer than one every 2 seconds and much slower than Morgan used in his video. The outer sheets still slip out of their slots, sometimes falling against tank walls, other times moving inward and ending up flat against the next sheet.

This may vary depending on how flexible the film base is. Different manufacturers' bases, even though they may be the same thickness, can be more or less rigid. I don't know why, considering virtually every one is 7-mil polyester, but it's a real phenomenon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good point about film differences. I also agree that the method in his video is absolutely too violent. It's a design flaw as I see it, though I think some intelligently placed "catches" on the end plates could remedy it.

Who knows...

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Would it help to mark the tank and invert in line with the edge of the film only?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect it would actually. Another option is the "spinner" thingamajig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One difference you will find between Morgan's insert and the Phototherm insert is the degree of difficulty in loading.

The Phototherm unit is more difficult to manipulate in the dark, especially at first. But it isn't hard once you get used to it. The more secure film handling buys you more secure holding during agitation. It is a necessary trade off.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, but bear in mind that as it is hand made, plastic is bought on the hobby store rather that at wholesale prices. And so it is expensive because there are a lot of profit margin built into the price....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin