Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,406   Online: 751

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

MOD 5x4" Process Insert- Is it just me or...

... or has the world gone mad? From http://www.silverprint.co.uk/:

"Why no-one thought of it before is a mystery, but at last it's here - an inexpensive 5 x 4" insert for a standard Paterson Multi-Reel 3 tank. The MOD insert allows you to process up to 6 sheets of 5 x 4" film simultaneously using your normal processing technique."

"Inexpensive"? That's 45 GBP for a piece of plastic! Nice idea alright and probably nice plastic as well, but 50 euros, jeez...

I must have lost touch with the real world

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is in all probability an item that sells in small quantities, so I guess the manufactoring costs are quite high. Which probably reflects on the price. They seem very nifty and I suppose a good tool that makes life easier is invaluable.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's been a long thread here on APUG about these holders in which the manufacturer has participated, they#ve been arounf for a while now.

When discussing prices remember first they have to be made and assembled, shipped to Silverprint and manufacturing costs as well as a profit made by both parties factored in as well. That price aslo includes the 20% VAT as well.

Now look at film prices these days . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compare the price with the price of JOBO 4x5 reels.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're pricey, but there's nothing else like them really. Compare prices to a Nikkor 4x5" reel... yikes.

I have one and I use it now for all my 4x5" stuff. It works very well, though your agitation needs to be extremely gentle in my experience. I've gotten some sticking of sheets which could be fixed by adding little ridges at the top and bottom of the end plates, but I digress...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Obviously the reason that I'm upset is that I would really like have one. And this thread is to get myself convinced that the thing *is* worth the money. You guys helped me quite a bit already, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silverprint will want 25%. Probably 1/2 the remaining $37 goes to recoup tooling costs and interest on capital expenditure. Leaving $14 for manufacturing, advertising, overhead, and finally $0.25 for profit.

If product sales were in the 100,000's/year the same insert would sell for $5 at Walmart.

Been there, done that.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 12-05-2011 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many people already have the patterson tanks (I have three) sitting around, so basically trays are the only thing cheaper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello !
    One thing nobody talks about : when buying plastic, one buy oil. And oil prices are not going down.... Plastic is becoming very expensive these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plastic is still the tiniest portion of the cost of manufacture though. The problem is that they're made in tiny quantities (probably assembled by hand from laser-cut pieces) with significant overheads and then resold.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin