Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,450   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Opemus II Enlarger

I'm starting a B&W darkroom with my recently acquired Leitz Focomat V35. However I would also like to be able to print from 645 and 6x6 medium format negatives. I have an opportunity to acquire an Opemus II enlarger with Meopta Belar 4.5/75 and 4.5/55 lenses. Would this be suitable for 645 and 6x6? Any good or bad points that I should be aware of?

I've found quite a bit of info about the Optima II a on the web, but little about the II. Does anyone know what the differences are?

Many thanks
    Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the differences between the Opemus II and IIa, but perhaps it's one and the same enlarger? I can't find Opemus II on http://www.meopta-history.com/?id=312.

Anyway, I used to have a Opemus IIa, a simple, small and sturdy 6x6 enlarger. The negative carrier is excellent. But you will need to upgrade the lenses, the Belars are not stellar performers. You will most likely need new 39mm lensboards too. Fotoimpex in Germany sells them I think.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Andrew

Are you talking about this one: http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-...AdIdZ336258583 ?

The price seems a bit high for what it is (unless there is a ton of other stuff that comes along with it)
    Try to get a lower price on that one, they aren't going for that much, and I think you would find one for R200 - R400 (if not cheaper or free) if you look around.

I have a M39 lens board for you (for free, I'll just charge for shipping) I'll just have to go look for it in my garage.

Ricus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.

Actually, I managed to pick up an Opemus 5 a with a Meochrom 2 colour head for free from the local photography school. So I'm going to pass on the II (unless of course you advise me otherwise). It also came with a Belar 4.5/75, although the lens looks a bit cloudy (initial observation only, it's in my car but I haven't had time to explore thoroughly - that pleasure awaits me tonight!), so I'll look for a better lens for it.

Ricus yes it was the gumtree ad, although I was planning to negotiate a lower price after seeing what they go for on ebay. Would your 39mm lens board fit the Opemus 5? It's actually missing the lens board or lens holder entirely - I have the lens but no way to attach it. So if your 39mm board will fit I would be most grateful and very happy to pay for it.

The other thing that's missing is the negative carrier, I'll see whether I can get one from Fotoimpex or on ebay. I also see that RK photographic in the UK sells aftermarket replacements for the Opemus 6 that they say will also fit the 5, although the price of GBP 55 seems quite steep. If anyone knows any other sources, I would be most grateful.

Thanks again for the help!
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 12-06-2011 at 05:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to check tonight the lensboard tonight (if I can find it). I also use a Opemus 5a ,so it wouldn't be too hard to check. I can't recommend the 2 over the 5.

Did you get a timer with it, I popped the bulb in my Meochrom head with a normal timer, now I have to use the condensor head. So make sure about the voltage of the timer you intend to use with it (maybe someone else can chime in here regarding timers for Meochrom heads)

Unfortunately, I don't know of a source for a neg carrier for the 5, locally. But I'll keep an eye out.

Ricus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ricus:- I don't have a timer. Just a transformer for 220V in and 12V, 9A out. The nominal mains voltage in SA is 230V but it does vary considerably so 220-250 V is probably a better description. I have a UPS that I need to set up over the holidays, so I'll cable the enlarger to the uPS so at least it should get a steady voltage. Thanks a million for lookng for that lensboard for me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Andrew, this thread here "Meopta Opemus 5 Carrier Question" might help you with finding a negative carrier. Opemus 5 owners on there have information regarding which carriers can be swapped out between models and there's also mention of someone selling one specifically for the Opemus 5.
    Hope this helps and best of luck getting your darkroom up and running!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin