Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,453   Online: 1016

Shooter
    Multi Format

Seamless printing.

I planning to print @max 8x10 inches with 35mm negatives and also have no plans to change formats that soon. Is an easel really required for seamless printing? How can I manage without an easel?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In English the term is “borderless”, prints without a discernable border. An easel is a convenience, not a necessity.

It used to be that enlargers were customarily equipped with a red safe-placement filter. You’d first compose and focus the image to overlap the edges of an upside-down scrap print of the same size paper you want to use.

Then, with the enlarger lamp on, you’d place the red safety filter under the lens so that a dim, red image was projected, remove the scrap sheet, and position the enlarging paper on the baseboard in the projected image where wanted and switch off the lamp.

Then you’d remove the safety filter and trigger the timer to expose the paper.

The red filter allows placing the paper without exposing it provided that it doesn’t stay in the red light for any significant time.

If you don’t have the safety filter, you can tape rulers to the baseboard along 2 adjacent edges of the focus/composing sheet and place the enlarging paper against those 2 positioning references under safelight, and then expose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Ian said.

You will want an easel - especially if you start printing different sizes (4x5, 4x6, 5x7, 6.75x10 etc.).

But you can certainly make do until you have one.

And paradoxically, an adjustable easel designed to give you borders works great for making borderless prints - just set it to create a spot that the paper drops into (that is how I print my postcards borderless).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Before I had an easel, I had some MDF cut out into different sizes which could then be placed on the baseboard. So you could get a MDF board cut at 8x10 and then move it around the baseboard to fit the image you want, then turn the light off, align the paper to the board by feeling the edges of it and expose.

I hope that makes sense.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The biggest problem as I see it is the handling of the paper, both during the developing and after. If you don't have a border, you'll always be grabbing the pictorial parts, subjecting it to possible damage.

If you want borderless, I would work with a slight white border and would trim it away afterwards.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, I did not really think about that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may pick 24x30 easel...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I may pick 24x30 easel...
    I'm assuming you are referring to centimetres when you say that

EDIT: an 8"x10"/24cm x 30cm 2 blade easel in reasonable shape should be fine to start with. Keep your eyes open for an 11" x 14" 4 blade easel - they are definitely worth looking for.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked 30x40cm easel for EUR 20. I hope this is sufficient to the prints upto 9"x12". Thank you all.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin