Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,115   Online: 931

Shooter
    35mm

lpl enlarger - issue?

Hi everybody,
    I'm new here and also I've just re-started shooting film a year or so ago after a very long break. Please be gentle with me!!!

I have taken the plunge and purchased a used LPL C6700 enlarger complete with timer, two lenses and loads of kit thrown in for 'silly cheap'. I have never developed or processed film before and I'm like a kid with a new toy (er...I guess I am a kid with a new toy!).

I'm getting there slowly but I think I need to open the enlarger up to do some cleaning etc. The dichroic filters seem a bit slow to react to the controls and the yellow occasionally does not work for the first part of the scale then "clicks" in and works fine. I reckon it's a bit gummed up in there. Maybee needs a lube? Can anybody tell me how to gain access to these gizmos? I think it looks like the metal cover removes with the three small screws along the bottom of each side but the knobs need to be removed before the will come off. Anybody have any clues?

Reckon I'm going to learn lots from everybody on here,
    Dave...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at the pivot point on the filters, if there's a tiny bit of grease there it will act like that. Same thing if they slide, just need to take a peek inside.
    Once you find that, a small drop of lighter fluid or Naptha will clean it right up. It may slow down again after a few days, that just means there's still grease in there and another drop of the solvent is needed.

Don't use anything like Acetone, it will melt some plastics and I'm not familiar with the internals on that machine.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that John. That's what I was thinking too - I still need to know how to get that cover off though. Do the knobs just pull off their shafts or is there some other method I can't work out? I don't want to break anything...

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm replying to my own question here. I sat and looked at it and figured that the knobs just HAD to pull right off. So I gritted my teeth and heaved on one. Yep, just popped right off. Tin cover removed and it revealed the (very simple) innards. As thought, the grease was hard. Half an hour of careful cleaning and some new lube and the old girl is good to go. If your filters are 'sticky' just take off the lid and do the same - easy!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin