Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,161   Online: 994

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1830 hrs US Eastern Time, History is Made!

I developed my first roll of film!

Okay, so the History Channel won't be knocking at my door anytime soon, but hey, its been thirty years in the making...

24 frames of Ilford PAN F+ 50

Developed in Ilfosol S 1+9...pretty much textbook...4 minutes

Kodak Stop

Kodak Fix

Kodak Photoflow 200

I thought I screwed the whole thing up when it came out of the tank. 3/4 of the middle of the roll concisted of frame after frame of almost completely clear film with one dark spot in it....

Until I remembered that I had been trying to get some decent shots of the lunar eclipse...DUH!

Another analog monster emerges from the primordial soup...MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Congradulations! I still remember the very first roll I developed. I hope your negs print well. But...(sorry if this is a negative thought amidst your joy) you might want to find a way to get longer dev times. 4 mins can be too short and you could get uneveness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did think it strange that a lot of other dev times were in the 9 to 15 minute range...But the Ildford chart said so, so who was I to question???

I also thought that the mix ratio seemed strong (1+9) compared to others...
    ...which would account for the short dev time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Congradulations! ... you might want to find a way to get longer dev times. 4 mins can be too short and you could get uneveness.
    This again?? I've developed, oh, a thousand or two rolls of color film for three minutes, fifteen seconds - sensitive, "critical" C41 - and, *NO* "unevenness".

Irving Penn developed all of his Tri-X in Ethol UFG for *three* to five minutes, and I don't see unevenness there either.

It might be a "good" idea to dilute and go for longer times, but I doubt that it is absolutely essential.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed, your post leads me to my next question...How tuff is c-41 to do???

At least half of the b/w film I shoot is c-41, especially the 120...I'd luv for it to be my next endeavor...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    This again?? I've developed, oh, a thousand or two rolls of color film for three minutes, fifteen seconds - sensitive, "critical" C41 - and, *NO* "unevenness".

Irving Penn developed all of his Tri-X in Ethol UFG for *three* to five minutes, and I don't see unevenness there either.

It might be a "good" idea to dilute and go for longer times, but I doubt that it is absolutely essential.

Oops, sorry to offend. I guess I've just blown it a couple of times especially when pouring dev into those little tanks. 30 secs to get it all in and then only a few minutes total time in there. Don't worry, I have not developed a roll of film in years. Isn't it cool to hear about someone enjoying starting out in this though?
    Last edited by Mateo; 10-29-2004 at 10:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its funny.

I was talking about my personal milestone while at my son's Cub Scout meeting...I was surprised to see how many people responded with: "Cool! I wish I could do that. I remember my high school photo class. I've always wanted to..."

Not one, "Why aren't you shooting digital?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool!!!! Hope you have informed the family, they had better get ready for all of those wonderful prints..

Don't worry to much about everything, just enjoy it. Before you know it you will be using Rodinal, Pyrocat-HD, Pyro, PC-Tea or some other developer...finding a 1:100 dilution that takes 30 min. or more and you will be thinking about that frist roll - only 4 minutes.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to hold myself back...

I've shot 35mm for thirty years... since high school...(ever since I got really tired of crappy photos from crappy 126 cameras with flash cubes...) When I came to this site I suddenly got the wherewithall to develop my own stuff...

In the interim, I bought two Yashicas, a D and a 124G, so that I could start into medium film (can't afford the ttl stuff)...all the while oogling the field cameras and those Speed and Crown Graphics...ITS A SICKNESS I TELL YOU...

But I prefer not to be cured...

Images
    Are you going to print that roll? If you think that you're excited now, just wait until you see that first image developing in the tray.

It's like having your first sex but without the shame, fear and embarassment.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin