Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 757

Thread: water filters

Shooter
    Multi Format

water filters

Hi All,

I am going to et up my very first darkroom and will be asking for advice in the coming months. So I will start off with what filters should I get? I was looking at getting two canister filters from sears. My water is a city water, coming through galvenized pipes.

Thanks,

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

I use the Omni Filter System, the dual cartridge type, which is a bit extreme.
    I wouldn't drink Long Island water, and I wouldn't use it for processing either.

http://www.omnifilter.com/index.htm

Ron

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have well water. I was getting pronounced deposits of who knows what in addition to lots of Ca on the film, and, I suspect, in the emulsion.

I have had good luck with Britta filtered water for mixing developer and fix, for "stop" water rinse, for the first rinse after fixing and the last rinse, with main washing with running tap water. I fill 2 liter bottles with filtered water so that I have plenty for processing in a 5 reel Paterson tank. I am getting virtually no crud or hard watermarks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use cascaded 5 micron and 2 micron filters on both the hot and colt water lines.

This seems to work well. Never had any particulate problems.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most filter housings are not rated for hot water, but will work fine for cold water and mixed water. I get my filter housings from filtersfast.com and my filters from a home supply store when on sale. I use 5 micron particulate filters.

I suggest getting a housing that uses standard 10" filters. I'm not sure cascaded filters are necessary unless you have lots of "stuff" in your water either from the water supply or your pipes (if galvanized supply pipes, I would guess they're fairly old).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice folks, that is what I am looking for. It looks like the sears filters are 5 micron, and I would have to put in a different brand to get down to anything lower.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike, I would suggest using distilled water for mixing chemicals.

Most filter media cannot withstand high temperatures, so make sure if you do get some for the hot line that it is rated for it, just like what mgb74 said. otherwise you are putting the filter media into your chemicals.

oddly enough, i have heard of people recommending using hard water to rinse prints as it is better than soft water. (the book way beyond monochrome indicates this)
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin